V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased a 2007 Deluxe a couple months ago. I had it die on me three times as i'm riding down the road. I pull over and the fuel injection will boot up and I can start it. Took it to the local dealership and they can't find anything wrong. Brought it back home and it did it again. Have any of you had this happen? :huh:

·
Registered
822 Posts
Electrical short somewhere. Might be in the on/off switch, ignition switch, wiring. Electrical gremlins can be the worst to run down. Especially when they're intermittent.

·
Premium Member
3,288 Posts
Maxum96 said:
Electrical short somewhere. Might be in the on/off switch, ignition switch, wiring. Electrical gremlins can be the worst to run down. Especially when they're intermittent.
Maybe you get a little more attention when you thrown in some product liability context, e.g. bike stalls in the passing lane and you guys don't want to pay for this etc.
HD had its fair share of recalls due to potential stalling of engines. (ignition module, battery cables etc.)

·
Banned
4,037 Posts
been there done that!

2005FLHRS said:
Purchased a 2007 Deluxe a couple months ago. I had it die on me three times as i'm riding down the road. I pull over and the fuel injection will boot up and I can start it. Took it to the local dealership and they can't find anything wrong. Brought it back home and it did it again. Have any of you had this happen? :huh:
Can't find it but I suspect it's in the on/off switch. No codes and all other connections have been checked.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yesterday when it did it I looked down and there were no engine trouble lights. The horn and blinkers worked. I turned of the ignition switch off then on and you could hear the FI boot up and it started. The very first time it did this I pulled over, turned the ignition switch off the on and the FI booted up 4 times. It was weird! HD says there is nothing wrong with the FI.....I about got smacked into the time before this happened. Had a idiot riding my tail.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
I pretty sure what you are hearing is the fuel pump when you turn the key on and not the FI. Maybe you are having a fuel pump problem and that's why the dealer is telling you that there is nothing wrong with the FI. Try and get them to change out the fuel pump and see what happens.

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
When they stall on a clutch pull or at the light most times the TPS/ IAC are out of sync. Now running down the road you have something else going on there. i would drop the bike off and tell them dont return it until it gets fixed. Now they can hook up a digital tech and run the bike and it will show up on the data log. Sounds very unsafe to me. I would press that issue hard and start making calls to HD direct, regional supers etc.

·
Registered
228 Posts
SafetyMan said:
My 07 FLSTC has done it a couple of times too.

Stalled when I pulled the clutch...
I've had my Deluxe for six months now and it stalled twice today with the clutch pulled in...one at a red light and the other time while slowing down while waiting for the garage door to open. I've had the PCIII on it for about three months without issue. I did add new pipes two weeks ago and remapped but this is the fifth ride since those changes took place. I want to bring it in but I'm thinking the PCIII will be blamed without a comprehensive check being done. Do you think I should have Jamie at FuelMoto review my map or should I just take it to the dealer and hope for the best?

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Its ot the PC111,mine had done the same as you descibed.Good luck having dealer find the problem since it will most likely work correctly when they have it.This problem in mine would occur whenever it felt like it.Kinda hard to pin point since cycling ignition switch will allow bike to work properly again.I replaced the rank sensor early this summer and bike hasnt done it since.Some owners have found loose connections at battery area or loose grds.Some have had cutoff switch on bars replaced,some have said ignition switch or wiring to ignition switch found to be faulty or not securely pinned.Try these areas first since no codes seem to flag.

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
WEll HD will tell you that the TPS is bad if the base voltage is out of spec. See what the volts are key on ign on engine off. You should in in the .4 volts range that is the start then you have to have the bike up to 180 head temp,and running you should be seeing 40 steps on the IAC motor. If that is off you need to adjust the t-plate. If you move the t-plate you are also moving the tps so that may need to be adjusted. If you cannot get enough movement from the tps. Take it off drill out the bushings in the tps and then use two small washers under the stock screws and then reset it. If your IAC is way off you may have to move the t-plate too much you may see the iac not move any longer stop. Shut engine off let sit for 30 seconds restart and then see what you have and move t-plate more. If the IAC is a low number then the plate is open to far, if the IAC number is high then the plate is not open far enough. You can use the Se race tuner to see IAC.

·
Registered
228 Posts
GerryL98 said:
I've had my Deluxe for six months now and it stalled twice today with the clutch pulled in...one at a red light and the other time while slowing down while waiting for the garage door to open. I've had the PCIII on it for about three months without issue. I did add new pipes two weeks ago and remapped but this is the fifth ride since those changes took place. I want to bring it in but I'm thinking the PCIII will be blamed without a comprehensive check being done. Do you think I should have Jamie at FuelMoto review my map or should I just take it to the dealer and hope for the best?
WHEW!!!! Just a loose battery cable.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Random shutting off on my 08 Ultra.

I am having the same issue. Happened three times yesterday, all under power. First time I pulled over, cycled the key and it started up. Second time it started by itself before I got pulled over. Third time I tried to start with out cycling the key and it wouldn't start, until I cycled it. No check engine lights, and lights/radio stay on.

·
Registered
2 Posts
my 07 road king stalls out when i pull in clutch when rolling to a stop with engine warm, but will start right back up had fuel pack remapped , intake gaskets replaced still same thing, was recently told to check the iac to see if it was sticking or stuck and if so to spray with carb. cleaner and clean out any carbon or crap and problem should be corrected , planning to try it this week , fingers crossed

1 - 16 of 16 Posts