V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Incredible
3,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for an affordable set of Stainless Steel Head Bolts for my 2003 Fatboy. I bought an entire engine kit that had all kinds of stainless steel peices in it for 109.00. The only thing it didn't include was head bolts. I thought no problem. I went to order some and even discounted they are going to run 100.00 per each set. It takes 2 sets. That is way over priced in my book. I am looking for a vendor that has these in more of a "Reality" price range. I would say 80 would even be a stretch for both sets.

Any input would be appreciated. I just emailed this site http://www.alloyboltz.com/ to see if they had some, but I didn't see any on their site so I don't have my hopes up on them at this point.

·
2005 Road King Classic
1,632 Posts
Can't put a Ebay link on here but rebubliccycle has them for TC88, evo, and 86-91 evo. Both cylinders for 56.10 buy it now! They are chrome though.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
I bet alloybolts will have it. Let me know. Taking engine apart as we speak. Came in for break. Want to get rid of the caps I got on there now. Ask the dealer the newer bikes come with 12pnt chrome? head bolts. I thought they told me $18 but that was couple years ago, could be wrong.

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts
Fatb0y said:
I am looking for an affordable set of Stainless Steel Head Bolts for my 2003 Fatboy. I bought an entire engine kit that had all kinds of stainless steel peices in it for 109.00. The only thing it didn't include was head bolts. I thought no problem. I went to order some and even discounted they are going to run 100.00 per each set. It takes 2 sets. That is way over priced in my book. I am looking for a vendor that has these in more of a "Reality" price range. I would say 80 would even be a stretch for both sets.

Any input would be appreciated. I just emailed this site http://www.alloyboltz.com/ to see if they had some, but I didn't see any on their site so I don't have my hopes up on them at this point.
Did you check this company? www.gardner-westcott.com

·
semi-retired
1,844 Posts
i use diamond engineering parts

Fatb0y said:

depss.com,no rust,low maint,very well made!

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Just a heads up.....I used them (stainless) on two Evos a couple years back and had persistant head gasket failures on both until I installed new stock head bolts. I must say that I used kits that supplied only the short (left side) head bolts (because they are the ones that show), and attribute the gasket failures to the different expansion rates from the remaining stock head bolts on the right. If you use all 4 on each head in stainless it may not be an issue but something to consider.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Thanks for the info. I was jsut going to do left side too.

·
Incredible
3,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
baggersport said:
Just a heads up.....I used them (stainless) on two Evos a couple years back and had persistant head gasket failures on both until I installed new stock head bolts. I must say that I used kits that supplied only the short (left side) head bolts (because they are the ones that show), and attribute the gasket failures to the different expansion rates from the remaining stock head bolts on the right. If you use all 4 on each head in stainless it may not be an issue but something to consider.
I would only use them if I could use the dame all around. Mixing would cause issues probably and why take the risk. I have been told the bolts that the MOCO switched to on the heads in the 2004 and up models cause issues once you build the engine and some are swapping back to the different alloy bolts on the prior years models. That is a heads up for a few also.

·
Incredible
3,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
FatBobRob said:
depss.com,no rust,low maint,very well made!
I believe this was the company I priced first. They have some beautiful bolts no doubt whatsoever, but they are way over priced on the head bolts. I am sure there is some reason for it, but I am not willing to put that kind of cash into 8 bolts at least not at this point anyway. They want 90 a set plus shipping of course and that puts 8 bolts at the 200 range which is what I have already found.

For an engine kit they are competitive like the kit I got. Just everyone wants too much for head bolts. Oh, well.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
good info baggersport. i would also ask if they were matched components, dunno about twinkies but evo studs were a certain steel to stretch and had expansion rates compatable with the top of engine. and maybe the studs need to be matched with head bolts to maintain this integrety...

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
Fatb0y said:
I believe this was the company I priced first. They have some beautiful bolts no doubt whatsoever, but they are way over priced on the head bolts. I am sure there is some reason for it, but I am not willing to put that kind of cash into 8 bolts at least not at this point anyway. They want 90 a set plus shipping of course and that puts 8 bolts at the 200 range which is what I have already found.

For an engine kit they are competitive like the kit I got. Just everyone wants too much for head bolts. Oh, well.
Another example of over-priced Harley parts I won't be buying... I'm getting real cheap these days. An OEM, muscle car crate engine costs less than a JIMS 120 or SE 113, or S&S upgrade... a GREAT set of Ford small block heads cost less than premium TC heads... Just putting things in perspective. If I want go go any faster, I'm buying a sportbike... FWIW.;)

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
Ok...I paid the high price for the bolts...now if there are issues??? Any more info???

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
Stainless steel bolts have a tendacy to gaul when used in a high torque application. I don't know if this is a concern or not but something I'd think about or ask about before using them as head bolts. Has anyone experienced this problem?

·
semi-retired
1,844 Posts
absolutely

marvin4239 said:
Stainless steel bolts have a tendacy to gaul when used in a high torque application. I don't know if this is a concern or not but something I'd think about or ask about before using them as head bolts. Has anyone experienced this problem?
a very light coat of oil or anti seize is a must.

·
Incredible
3,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Based on the prices I have been finding from the vendors I don't think stainless will be an issue because I am not paying the rediculous prices everyone has wanted for them thus far. They are very high tensil strength and from www.depss.com they have them based on your application. More cubes equal stronger bolt and even higher price. Just not worth it. In my opinion they have priced them out of the market. No wonder many people don't run them. It has nothing to do with them being able to fill the bill, they are just to high.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
What about rocker covers? I got one that the allen part is stripped. I want some good bolts, especially for rear. One of those strips and you will have to pull motor.

·
Incredible
3,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
berserker said:
What about rocker covers? I got one that the allen part is stripped. I want some good bolts, especially for rear. One of those strips and you will have to pull motor.
Do you mean stainless rocker box bolts? Those come in about every stainless bolt set I seen as part of the package. Not that expensive for a full engine kit which is usually 100 or just over for a TC engine. It is the head bolts that are WAY over priced.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
What a meant is any problem using ss rokcer cover bolts? I wanted to go to ss head bolts, but got some doubts. Will the ss be stronger and strip clyinder bolts? Heat transfer? If do it will do all 4.

The head bolts are probably pricey cause there not really a bolt. Not sure what they are.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts