V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 bike with about 450 miles on it. I was told the stage two kit for the injected bikes really helps the throttle response (for getting out of idiot's way...).

My dealer also said that if they were put on during the warranty, they were covered :)

I have some questions; What can I expect it to do for my mileage/performance, do I need to add slip on pipes at the same time and where is the best place to order them from? My dealer wants about 1K for them.

Any other information would be helpful, if you think of any.

I was thinking of having it installed during the 750 mile dealer look-see.

Thanks,

Ron

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
Ron,

Stage 2 is an upgrade to 95 cubic inches (from 88) and will probably be ~$3K.

I wonder if you meant Stage 1, which basically involves changes at the air intake and exhaust. Since you bike is fuel injected, you'll probably need a re-flash on the ECM.

I have an '02 FLHRI (1900 miles) and just ordered the Stage 1 EFI Kit (PN#29773-02) ,
a SE FLT muffler kit (PN#65115-98B) and billet end caps (PN# 65061-01). Total was $805.

The dealer will do the Stage1 work at thw 2500 mile service next week.

Regards,

wyodude

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
This seems a bit strange to me.

Stage 2 as in big bore? Never heard of that being a warranty item other than certain talk that it could void warranty.

Stage 1 will give a injected model a few more ponys if combined with the right set of mufflers.

If the stage 2 you are speaking of is the new air cleaner kit that is the step above the hi flow stage 1, then still I would say there is no way that is covered under warranty.

Can you tell me exactly what it is they are proposing to do?

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Doc Naumo said:
"......
I have some questions; What can I expect it to do for my mileage/performance, do I need to add slip on pipes at the same time and where is the best place to order them from? My dealer wants about 1K for them.

Ron

WHAT! ?? :eek:

$1,000 for what? No way ! Your Dealer is ripping you off big time!

Vance and Hines $370
Sampsons $329

How about some more information. NONE of this sounds right.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Let me try to clarify things a bit (this is what I get for lack of sleep...).

The dealer told me that he called HD and was told if his shop installed the stage two kit, big bore, it would be covered under the warranty. I will be driving by there on Wednesday and will re-verify it in case I miss understood him:rolleyes:

I called his shop and was told that the complete kit (including the reflash module) would run right under 1K. Since the estimated (guestimated..) price to install it was quoted to me around $800.00 - 1K, any savings I can get on the kit would be appreciated.

Since this involves larger cylinders, I was wondering what this would do for mileage and power. Also, since the outflow is increased, would this work with the stock mufflers? Money being tight, I would like to get those down the road. Of course, I bet that means reflash then too:(

You all have MUCH more expierence in this than I do. Any help is appreciated.

Ron

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
If you intend to use the stock mufflers leave the thing alone, you might just get more out of a stage one kit with good pipes.

Even if you do the big bore with pipes, you will gain some torque, but the HP will pretty much stay where it is with the stage one.

Power is in the heads, and to some degree in the cams.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Stage 2 is somewhat of a waste on EFI's. You will never get injectors that can take full advantage of it.

Also, I have never heard of a stage 2 upgrade going for $800. That just does not fit.

So I for one, remain confused as to what the real deal is here.

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
Doc Naumo said:

I called his shop and was told that the complete kit (including the reflash module) would run right under 1K. Since the estimated (guestimated..) price to install it was quoted to me around $800.00 - 1K, any savings I can get on the kit would be appreciated.

Ron,

I agree with JimmyK, something is not right here.

I think many dealers will warranty work they do, but that does not mean other dealers (or the factory) is obligated to honor said warranty.

My understanding of Stage 1 is the installation of a high flow air cleaner, EFI calibration, and a set of high flow mufflers. Stage 2 adds big bore cylinders, piston and ring kit, and performance cams.

I know my dealer wants $2500 to do a stage 2 upgrade. YMMV.

wyo

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all. I verified his prices for the stage two kit through the online catalok. Screaming Eagle wants right below 1K with all the parts (including the reflash module, without it around 850). This includes the air flow kit and the pistons, cylinders, rings, cams, ...

I will double check with my dealer tomorrow.

One thing, will I have to go through the break in schedule again, if I have this done? 50 for 50, 55 for 450?

Anybody remember what the reflash cost is? Depending on that cost, I might be able to scramble enough up to get a cheap set of pipes so they can map the injectors for the better exhaust flow. Then get a decent pair when the funds are right.

I also read in American Iron (I believe), that there is a high performance air pleneum (?) that is larger than stock and allows better air flow to the cylinders. The injectors bolt right to it, as in the original. Perhaps this would assist in bringing more ponies out of the barn. I imagine the map would have to be changed to account for the increased airflow so the engine does not go into a lean condition.

Again, y'all know more about this than I. I can't even look at those types of mods until the warranty runs out. By then somebody will have posted results.

Ron

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
With your quoted price I believe you are leaving out the labor charge. Also if money is tight...I agree with just getting the Stage I kit then when you have a little more $ you will already have your pipes and air breather kit on. Also just like Hippo said...you will get torque with the standard Stage II. Don't think you will get the "rocket" you want the Stage II.
Just a thought...I don't have many.
brian
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I am in process of buying a new RK classic. Glendale, Ca dealer quoted Stage 2 at about $1700, which included 11 hours labor at $65/hr, plus thecomplete kit. New muffler was about $300 moreor ,plus 1 hour labor. They said it would not void warranty, although i did not verify whether that meant only at their shop.

I thought that if you first bought the stage 1 kit, the stage 2 was duplicative. i.e. the cost of the stage 1 was essentially lost and gave no reduction in the stage 2. Not positive here, i may be trying to convince myself to just get the stage 2.

They thought it would make a very real difference.

Any actual experience??

regards, greg

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
Greg,

I just bought a new RK in May. I will be doing the Stage 1 upgrade at the 2500 mile service next week.

One reason to do these upgrades sequentially is that you'll have some feel for the gain in performance as opposed to doing it a the time of purchase (e.g. no frame of reference).

On the other hand, some folks here are experienced HD riders that know full well what they want (and the want POWER).

Regards,
wyo

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Ok, one more thing then. If you do stage 1 KEEP THE PARTS. To go to stage two you do NOT jump from stage 1. Stage two is a step up from stock and must have the stock set up.

If you have a stage 1 you will have to take it vack to stock and then on to 2.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts