V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am new to the Fuel Injected cycle scene. I installed a stage 2 kit on my carbed Heritage Springer last year and had great gains.

My question is what do I need to do with a fuel injected bike to get the power up another 15 hp without tearing out the jugs? Is there any sites that detail a Stage 1 and 2 set-up and how to go about it? What gains to expect? Should I get a power commander?

Thanks for any help.

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
Traceman,

I think Stage I gets you 10 hp. Obviously, you know that Stage I is a EFI breather kit, less restrictive pipes and a reflash of your ECM.

Instead of a PCIII, you should look at the SE EFI race tuner. The SE tuner comes will all standard HD reflashes AND allows you to tweak your set up.

tsuter and hippo could add much more about the EFI tuner.

regards,

wyo

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking of a cam change, breather and pipes.

I was looking at Chicago Harley and ran the 95" kit part number and it was only $640. I really hate to pay the dealer at least that much more to do something like this. Is this something the average do it yourselfer can do? Maybe I am in too big of a hurry to mess up a brand new bike.

I know I will need a manual and a inch/pound torque wrench. What other special tools would be required?

If anyone has some insight or links into this subject I would appreciate it. I just know I am a power junkie. The Springer I had was a real slug with my big ass on it untill I installed the cam and pipes on it.

Thanks

·
Registered
584 Posts
Hey, Traceman. Is that 640.00 for just the 95" kit or is labor included? Thanks. J.T.

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
Traceman, sorry about that, kind of a joke from the other site, you should have no problems. It is kind of expensive to change EFI to carb anyway.

·
Registered
276 Posts
EFI is great, carb is great. The flashes from HD are EPA aproved and not the best way to go. I have had great success with Power Commander and a tuning center. HD Tuner sounds like it would be good as well. The big deal is who will set your bike up. Getting a map from HD or PC is like someone handing you some jets and saying "this is what worked for my bike, should work for yours" . Get your EFI bike tuned on a dyno with a Power Commander or an HD Tuner by someone who is familiar with EFI and you will be very happy.......

·
Registered
305 Posts
Traceman,

Consider going this route: Pay someone (dealer or indy) to change your cams for you and install adjustable pushrods. The tools required to change the cams are somewhat costly.

Then, do your own big bore. Will save you some major bucks on labor. these things aren't hard to work on - kind of like rebuilding two lawnmowers side by side.

·
Registered
278 Posts
well i am just going to pay someone. :)

i found that simons performance in langhorne Pa is doing a hot EFI
95 kit with......
get this

95 HP and 95 Torque minimum

for the LOW LOW price of 1995.00 out the door 3 day turn around.

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
Short block charlie is beating that price by quite a bit, he is in arizona so that will not work for you. I would shop around a little. Two grand seems a bit steep, but if you are happy with them go with them.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have heard of being able to get the stage 2 Screamin Eagle kit done for $1300 parts and labor and thought that was a lot. :) I am a cheap bastard sometimes. I need to check into the cost of the tools and see how much that will be.

It really seems dumb for me to want to modify this Bike so soon. I should make myself at least wait till the 1 year warranty is up. Decisions, decisions.

I am sure there are some shops in Houston here that can do a good job but don't know of any.

Who did yours JimmyK?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Thealien:

believe me i have shopped around.....
going to arizona is a problem :) :)
did i mention the dyno is included....
but anyway this is the best deal within 50 miles of me....

so this is what i will do ...i will keep shopping until i comit

·
Premium Member
1,972 Posts
Thealien said:
Traceman, sorry about that, kind of a joke from the other site, you should have no problems. It is kind of expensive to change EFI to carb anyway.
Yeah, the DARK side!!! Let's see now, was it Dark Vader or Dark Voodoo? LOL

1 - 17 of 17 Posts