If we gotta wear helmets
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my winter project for my 07 XL883 (with forward controls) is looking to be:

Power Commander III
Screamin Eagle Air Intake
Supertrapp 2-1 Supermeg

Anyone see any problems with that?

I'm looking for a good performance improvement while still keeping the bike on the quiet side.

·
I haven't seen your bird.
8,499 Posts
How things have changed since I bought my bike. All H-D bikes now run EFI. Screaming Eagle slip-ons haven't been an option for a while. I understand that times change, but I'm not happy with the direction H-D is headed.

·
Ironbutt
7,415 Posts
MadCity said:
How things have changed since I bought my bike. All H-D bikes now run EFI. Screaming Eagle slip-ons haven't been an option for a while. I understand that times change, but I'm not happy with the direction H-D is headed.
I'm with you - I'll take a good ole carb any day. These days you need a computer science degree just to change your pipes.

·
Premium Member
11,928 Posts
look for the drop of the 883, maybe even the sportster altogether. HD is regretting very much the fact that they bought dinner for the epa to kill thhe aftrmarket, now they have to build larger more anemic engines to comply with their own wishes.

kinda like shhotin yourself in the head. look at their stock!

·
I haven't seen your bird.
8,499 Posts
Originally posted by claydbal
look for the drop of the 883, maybe even the sportster altogether.
I very much doubt that. Sportsters have long been among the best-selling bikes in H-D's line — in large part because of the price tag and their hot-rod demeanor. To me they're kind of like what the Camaro was to Chevy or the Firebird to Pontiac.

·
If we gotta wear helmets
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I actually really like my 07 XL883. But it is my first bike so I have nothing to compare it to.

And I work in computers so programming the EFI doesn't bother me at all.

On the other hand if it was a carburator I'd have to ask someone who knew what they were doing to deal with it for me.

I expect asking the next generation of customers to be comfortable enough with computers to hook a cable up to their bike to set the EFI isn't too big a leap. Everything from mp3 players to cameras work that way already.

I have this discussion with my buddy about Harleys all the time as he is much more nostalgic about classic/traditional designs than I am. But he has a 2006 Softtail with an EFI as well.

·
Premium Member
11,928 Posts
MadCity said:
I very much doubt that. Sportsters have long been among the best-selling bikes in H-D's line — in large part because of the price tag and their hot-rod demeanor. To me they're kind of like what the Camaro was to Chevy or the Firebird to Pontiac.
i certainly hope they dont drop em, but whats next? will a sportster have a 110 inch 55 hp motor to meet the feds? concerning the camaro and firebird, didnt they drop those cars?

not bustin your chops man, and i really hope i am wrong, always been a sporty fan, wondering how to get a donor and fit the buells new rotax motor in an 883 chassis!

·
Banned
5,329 Posts
Dude, that is exactly what you want to do to your bike. Get your parts, do the job. You will never regret it. It will never be waisted money. People call that "the tax". It gets you in the game. Way to go!

·
Registered
14,069 Posts
dhwingert said:

Power Commander III
Supertrapp 2-1 Supermeg

I'm looking for a good performance improvement while still keeping the bike on the quiet side.
I don't know what those pipes sound like but you will definitely notice the difference in performance after you do those upgrades.

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
i bought my sporty stock, rode it for a week, then upgraded to the screamin eagle a/c, slip ons, and rejetted carb. i instantly noticed the power gain, and it sounded way better. you're gonna love it!

·
Banned
3,710 Posts
lil i know/heard

dhwingert said:

Power Commander III
Supertrapp 2-1 Supermeg

with fuel injected, 2 into 1 there can be tuning issues. easier with two pipes

check out dohertypower PACC. I read in A I, it's a great addition. Better than Screamin Eagle!

do your research. I had an 05 sporty. If I had yours, you know what I would do

·
Swamprat Rider
757 Posts

Power Commander III
Supertrapp 2-1 Supermeg

Good Choices for what you are after... I went with V&H Straight Shots don't want quiet in FL with drivers that can't hear to begin with and always on a cell phone... :woohoo:

·
Registered
189 Posts
Almost the same as I am getting installed right now but I am getting Vance & Hines straightshot slipons

Tim

1 - 13 of 13 Posts