V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ii just purchased a set of Krome Werks slip on mufflers for my 01 FLSTCI. Now I need the stage 1 upgrade. What exactly is involved in the stage 1 upgrade. I can get my hands on a Harley stage 1 1450 EFI cartridge at a fair price but the local HD shop said that the cartridge is to be used to program a laptop and not as a replacement such as the chip on a computer controlled diesel engine, although he didn't sound real sure of what he was saying. What's the real scoop? I know HD will blow smoke when the buyer (me) is not up to speed. Please clear this up for me. TIA

·
Registered
128 Posts
Kenneth,
I asked a similar question in the general forum. I am running Vance Hines Long Shots and the dealer recommended the Stage one chip and air filter change for better performance. The price for both from the dealer runs around $300.00. The responses I got from others here on the board were very positive from those who have had it done. I would recommend getting it done. I have a 02' FLSTSI TC 88 w/EFI. Responders reported everything from an 8HP increase to increased throttle response. Hope this helps.

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
Kenneth,

I beleive the chip is programmed with a laptop. Sounds like you got bad advice. Another shop maybe?

Regards,
wyodude

·
Registered
17 Posts
Reprogram with Stage one

On EFI engines whenever you change air volume, fuel intake, mufflers, piston size, cams, cyl. heads, etc. you MUST reprogram the bikes ECM. Now you can take your bike to a dealer and spend $150.00 (every time that you make a change to your bike) to have them do it for you, or you can buy an engine management system for your bike like a Powercommander by K&N. This system allows you to change fuel and ignition timing to match the changes that you have made to your bike. I have installed three of them already, one on my 2001 Ultra and the other two for friends. These systems work very well. There are two ways to reprogram these units, on the bike (This is the best way, or off the bike) You can install a number of different maps from K&N or a custom made map depending on the changes that you have made to your engine. I have done both. If you decide to go this route and get a Powercommander, drop me a line and I will be glad to give you a hand in programming it, or send it to me and I will do it for you.

·
Registered
68 Posts
How does the PC111 effect fuel economy? I would not mind loosing a few mpg on my Ultra but I have read many posts stating that they lost 8-10 mpg.
Gary

·
Registered
17 Posts
MPG.

Vagabond2000, About fuel milage and the Powercommander. Of all the Powercommanders that I have installed I have not experienced any drop in fuel milage. Now I'm not saying that it can't happen. Remember the PC IIIr is only as good as the person programming it and also remember we don't know what kind of performance up grades that these people have on there bikes. Don't just go out and buy aftermarket part's and bolt them on your bike because it said it would work great from the catalog. Use your HEAD. DO RESEARCH.

·
Registered
53 Posts
powercommander

Who is K&N? Do they have a website? This sounds very interesting... I put Screamin Eagle II's on my 02 Fatboy and have noticed that I have lost a little power! Thanks, Dan NM

·
Registered
53 Posts
power commander

Well Boys... I just ordered one! Looking forward to tinkering now! Off-topic question tho... I noticed that my oil tank gets hot and the oil level is fine! I can actually feel the heat on the back of my leg! Is this common? Many Thanks in advance! Bueno, Dan NM

·
Registered
53 Posts
power commander arrived

Hi All... Got the powercommander yesterday and the install instructions are excellent. I'll probably do it this weekend. I haven't delved into the CD yet but it appears to be straight forward. The only change I made to my Fatboy is the Screamin Eagle II's so I'm assuming the programing part should be easy! Thanks Mor Pwr. Bueno, Dan

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm confused

Hey everyone,

The powercommander seems like the way to go. But I'm comfused - if you buy the powercommander, do you still need the stage I kit? I'm not even exactly sure what the Stage I kit is...

Thanks,

Joe

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi Joe... I'm new at this too but here's what I know! If you have EFI, every time you change something on the engine such as pipes or air cleaner you are changing the air intake and/or exhaust. The EFI is set at the factory for the stock set up. If you change your pipes or... the EFI must be remapped for the change of flow. The powercommander allows you to do just that... remap the EFI. I just did mine and got all my power back and then some! Works fantastic! Buena suerte, Dan NM

·
EvilMonger
8,792 Posts
Powercomander II

I have used a powercomander on my 2000 screaming eagle road glide. I also think it is excellant, I would like to add that until the operating temperature is reached you are still using the ecm. This can effect starting and idle, I recomend flashing the ecm with the appropriate stage.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Stage one kit

Brainsneeze, The stage one kit is a K&N air filter and the chrome brackets to install it on your bike. It allows the engine to take in more air. Don't let Harley reprogram your ECM for you, buy a PowerCommander and do it yourself. Because somewhere down the line you will be making more engine mods. and at that time with a PowerCommander you will be able to make all of the changes to your ECM yourself.

·
EvilMonger
8,792 Posts
powercomander

There is a stage I a stage II and a stage III kit the latter being a big bore kit. As I stated earlier I have and like the powercomander, It does not take over unti the engine reaches operating temperature. With some modifications it may idle eratically and may even have trouble cold starting, Recalibrating the ecm can alleviate these problems. Yhis is not necesary with all modifications, I have seen many bikes run fine with just the powercomander installed. I had a custom map installed at Carl's speed shop in Daytona. I also have 32,000 hard miles on my glide in 20 months. I hope this clears up my last reply.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks for the replies, now at least I understand what the kits are. I'll pick up a powercommander for sure. How does one know when you need to reprogram? Is there some sort of guide to follow? Or diagnostics that are done?

Thanks,

Joe

1 - 20 of 28 Posts