V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With a stage 1 download and air cleaner will I have to flash the ecm, add a power commander or DFO to add V & H big shot staggard pipes?

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
srigas said:
With a stage 1 download and air cleaner will I have to flash the ecm, add a power commander or DFO to add V & H big shot staggard pipes?
a stage 1 download is considered flashing the ecm with a new map(in this case a stage 1 map). There are specific SE slip-on mufflers that this map was developed for. If you deviate from those, you need to be able to adjust for the change.

So, assuming you are getting the stage 1 backing plate and air filter and now a pipes change, other than the SE's, you would be better off to forget the ecm stage 1 flash and go with a good adjustable fuel module. The Power Commander allows you to map fuel and spark to each cylinder, so it is more than just a fuel adder module and would allow future engine modifications with a way to adjust for them. I've used the Techlusion TFI module from Dobeck and can say that on a stock engine with stage 1 air filter and aftermarket slip-ons, it does the job very well. So, it depends on what you want to do and what future plans you may hold.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Stage 1

I have the 15th anniversary fatboy with the 95 ci engine stage 1 and ac. I also purchased a power commander, but there are no maps for my particular setup. A dyno is 100 miles from my home that could do a custom map so I'm looking for something else since it's not convenient. Since I want to install the V & H bigshot staggards I had hoped I could get by since I had the stage 1 download. I will probably have to get that custom map or try a dfo. I'm worried about running to lean. How has your experience been with the dfo?

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
srigas said:
I have the 15th anniversary fatboy with the 95 ci engine stage 1 and ac. I also purchased a power commander, but there are no maps for my particular setup. A dyno is 100 miles from my home that could do a custom map so I'm looking for something else since it's not convenient. Since I want to install the V & H bigshot staggards I had hoped I could get by since I had the stage 1 download. I will probably have to get that custom map or try a dfo. I'm worried about running to lean. How has your experience been with the dfo?
No DFO's for me, just the TFI.

If you go onto the Dynojet website and then search Tuning Centers, I think you'll find that there are 3 dynos under 40 miles from Rome, GA. Getting it on the dyno and getting the AFR right would be my first priority, since you already have the PCIII. I would not trust the Stage 1 map with a major pipes change.

If your heart is set on getting the V&H BS Staggered, so be it. I would be looking at other choices because they reportedly do not perform as well as they should in the low to mid rpm range. This could be improved with the use of something like the Thunder Monster replacement baffles(BigCity Thunder) though if the V&H BS Staggered just have to be the pipes. I know that the Bassani Pro Streets have really dynoed well, along with the Python3 dual staggereds. These are just two examples of the many out there that will not hinder the motor performance as much. It all depends on what your priorities are. Some folks just don't care about losing Torque and HP as long as the bike looks good. ;)

·
Banned
1,376 Posts
srigas said:
So take the 100 mile ride and get the pig tuned you'll never look back. The power commander is worth it's weight in gold for EFI. SE now makes a fueler too but since you already have the Power Commander no need for both.
:beatdh: :beatdh: :beatdh: :beatdh:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts