V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK-I have a 1998 Evo, with SE slip ons, reworked stock carb, and big sucker/ss intake.
I am not after a hot rod, but I do like a good ol' great running/sounding ride.
My local shop thinks the next step is a cam, then 2:1 pipes, then a mikuni...then a 100 inch kit! I'm not so sure about the extra inches, but opening the breathing seems to make sense...considering I ride with my boy (9 y.o.) and generally wander Northern Idaho/Western Montana on 150-350 mile "capers" what would you suggest??
Cheapdad

·
Registered
42 Posts
I think a cam, thunderheader, and a mikuni would be enough for your riding style. Actually the stock CV carb will work fine as long as you stay with the 80 CI.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
claydbal said:
i suggest you quit being cheap and buy the kid a bike.
the time will come soon enough--he'll knock me off, and I'll be riding behind...assuming I get invited!

I think a cam, thunderheader, and a mikuni would be enough for your riding style. Actually the stock CV carb will work fine as long as you stay with the 80 CI.
what performance/horses should I expect by adding a cam and 2:1 pipes--over my present stage 1?
Cheapdad

·
Banned
2,735 Posts
I have an Andrews EV-3 and the Vance & Hines Propipe on my 1995 FXDWG. That and the Kuryakyn Hypercharger, rejetted stock carb, Carlini Torque Arm, Screaming Eagle Ignition...and this bike has all the OOMPH!!! I will ever need. You might consider close to the same. I hear good stuff about the EV-27 also as one of the good bolt-in cams. You won't have a ground pounder but when my bike is warmed up it sounds GREAT idling, cruising, or laying into it to get the cam and big jet working. It gets my attention big time when it hits about the 2,500 rpm area. It's like, This SumB**ch wants to LAUNCH....and it does.
Good Luck and enjoy that extra juice.

Semper Fi,
Steve...Pensacola
USMC 1972 - 2003

·
Registered
42 Posts
The Andrews EV-27 is a real good bolt in cam. Just guessing, the cam and exhaust should give you between 70 to 75 HP & TQ.:clap: :clap: :clap:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Here is a quote from an older thread for a buddy of mine. There's lots of good information to research. Do the research on the many options. Good Luck...

vtwinsurgeon said:
Now the last time I did this motor it cost between $6000.00 to $6500.00 labor, parts, and out side labor.

Heads: street port, rocker arm geometry, and 10.8:1 compression from Dan Basiley Hi Performance. 503-289-1251
Roller Rockers: built at Basiley Hi Preformance.
Cam: Woods W9B .630 lift...252 duration....42 degree overlap.
Push Rods: Andrews or Basiley Adjustable
Ignition: S/E 6200 rpm
Exhaust: Vance & Hines Pro Pipe HS series, White Brothers ''E'' series, Thunder Header.
Carb: S/E 44mm C/V
Carb Work: Bobby Wood 205-525-4949.
Manifold: S/E 44mm
Pistons and Rings: Wiesco 10:1 ''X'' Style.
Gearing: Andrews 30 tooth trany sprocket.
V.O.E.S. setting around 5 3/4 to 6 in of vacuum to retard the advance curve so detonation won't be a problem.
Now all these parts compliment each other, but it does take a good dyno man to tune it so it comes alive. With out a good tuner you are leaving 10 to 15 horsepower uncovered. ( Or as GRock says ''left on the table'' ).
You want to make sure who ever does the build that the cylinders are within .0002 taper and .0002 out of round, things like this is what makes it or breaks the build. Pay attention to ever detail and it will yeild over 100 hp and 100 tq. I built several of these 80'' EVO's and all where right at 105 hp 104 tq. If I can do it so can you.....pay attention to detail. Talk to Dan Basiley about the valve geometry, rockers, and compression, talk to Bobby Wood about the carb. I know you will be impressed with this build...and it is dependable. I'd say you are taking away 25% of the engines life by doing this build but that still leaves you with a motor that will serve you well for 150,000 miles. Don't substitute any thing in this package, if you do you might not get what your looking for.
Good Luck

·
Registered
42 Posts
animal said:
Here is a quote from an older thread for a buddy of mine. There's lots of good information to research. Do the research on the many options. Good Luck...
Anytime you get over 100 HP out of a 80" evo you've done good. The package he is showing will get you back and forth to the beer store rather quickly, or anywhere else you want to go for that matter.

·
Banned
871 Posts
bigoscycles said:
Also while spending money I'd go ahead and buy a PINGEL high flow petcock valve. It will make a little difference.
True, but only at top end. The stock petcock flows enough for most engines in the normal riding rpm range.

My 80 inch 1995 Dyna is cranking out 87 Hp/92 Tq. I'm expecting to hit 100 Tq this spring after changing to a higher lift cam. I have an EV-27 now, which performs very well, but since I got the heads done, I need more flow. I'm gonna try the Woods W6H this year.

Carb, exhaust, cam, and ignition are the most effective changed you can make to a stock engine. After that it's time for headwork and higher compression. I'm also using the S&S Super E, Dyna 2000i ignition, V&H Po-Pipe, Energy One extra plate clutch kit with heavy duty spring, and have the heads shaved to create just a hair under 10:1 compression. I can outrun my friend's stage 2 Twinkie with no trouble. ;)

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
good info--many thanks to all!
...but if you feel you have more to add...do feel free! 100 horses is a bit above my target--it does sound interesting--but the +/- 75 range sounds like a more usable target for me...I'm not a young all/no balls guy anymore!:hmmm:
Cheapdad

·
Banned
871 Posts
Cheapdad said:
good info--many thanks to all!
...but if you feel you have more to add...do feel free! 100 horses is a bit above my target--it does sound interesting--but the +/- 75 range sounds like a more usable target for me...I'm not a young all/no balls guy anymore!:hmmm:
Cheapdad
Yup, 75+ ft. lbs. torque across the rpm range will make you grin! If you end up changing the exhaust later on, try to get a 2-1 system. That will make a very big difference on overall performance.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Well for what its worth I went threw the $$$$$$$$$ and all the mods listed in these great info posts Cheapdad. And you will find they all will work in some degree for you. However they come at a price, the old "how much money do you want ot go fast?" Now all I do is turbocharge and I save much bucks and go faster than any sane man would. And I might add with great dependablilty.

·
Banned
2,735 Posts
What does a turbocharger do to the Harley sound? Power is great but don't want a mutation looking bike...and I'm not trying to put down your idea. Do you have a pic of your set up?
Semper Fi,
Steve...Pensacola
USMC 1972 - 2003

·
Banned
871 Posts
steveusmc said:
What does a turbocharger do to the Harley sound? Power is great but don't want a mutation looking bike...and I'm not trying to put down your idea. Do you have a pic of your set up?
Semper Fi,
Steve...Pensacola
USMC 1972 - 2003
I know a guy who has a turbo dresser. The way that bike hauls a$$, the last thing he's concerned about is how it sounds. :D To me, it sounds mean, mean, mean!! :chopper:

·
Banned
2,735 Posts
The reason I ask is because the Harley "Sound" is the biggest single thing that sets it apart from all others. Harley wouldn't be the same if the bikes sounded like a bunch of turbo-tuned race bikes. May as well buy a BMW or Goldwing.
The legitimate question I had was...What does the turbocharger do to the sound of the bike...;ie the REAL Harley sound? If it still sounds like a HOG and doesn't look like a Chinese junket...then I'm certainly all for it.
Steve

·
Banned
871 Posts
steveusmc said:
The reason I ask is because the Harley "Sound" is the biggest single thing that sets it apart from all others. Harley wouldn't be the same if the bikes sounded like a bunch of turbo-tuned race bikes. May as well buy a BMW or Goldwing.
The legitimate question I had was...What does the turbocharger do to the sound of the bike...;ie the REAL Harley sound? If it still sounds like a HOG and doesn't look like a Chinese junket...then I'm certainly all for it.
Steve
Hmmm.... I hope you didn't spend all that money on your bike just for the Harley sound. ^rolleyez^

If you really want an authentic Harley sound, then you'd have to stick with the stock exhaust. You can't get any more "real" than the way the factory makes it. I guess everyone has a different idea of what a Harley is supposed to sound like.

Any mods to a stock exhaust will change that REAL Harley sound somewhat, but only the volume and tone. They ALL have that unique sound that's caused by the cylinders firing the way they do. (OK, so the VRod doesn't.... but it's engine is basically a Porsche, anyway) That uneven firing is the true source of the REAL Harley sound... the exhaust has little to do with it. It just makes it louder or quieter.... the same basic potato-potato sound is still there unless you redesign the engine itself. :) And just because it's loud doesn't mean it sounds more like a Harley, either.

The turbos look great if installed right, and sound awesome. Unless you muffle it to the point of completely silencing it, it is still going to sound like a Harley. A turbo'd bike sounds like a Harley, a supercharged bike sounds like a Harley, a bone-stock Sportster sounds like a Harley. Actually, IMHO, the only bikes I've heard that didn't sound like a Harley, weren't Harleys. ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts