V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently had a high flow air filter and a carby recallibration kit fitted to my 03 Wideglide, already had pipes done.
The fuel economy dropped from 19 kms/litre (44mpg) to 14 kms/litre (33mpg).
Hence my theoretical range has dropped approx 90 kms (55m) per tank.
I can't really see any better performance except bike runs smoother at idle and take off.
Has anyone else had this drop or is it normal after upgrade?

·
Premium Member
946 Posts
trout88cu said:
I recently had a high flow air filter and a carby recallibration kit fitted to my 03 Wideglide, already had pipes done.
The fuel economy dropped an average of 5 kms/litre. Hence my theoretical range has dropped approx 90 kms per tank.
I can't really see any better performance except bike runs smoother at idle and take off.
Has anyone else had this drop or is it normal after upgrade?
I'll chime in before Doc and say; you have to get it on the dyno and have it properly tuned . You don't mention the exhaust. The air filter lets more air in so you need an exhaust that will let more air out.

·
Banned
5,114 Posts
Very good Mark, what are you doing up so early?
Pa Glazier is correct...too many people just jet a carb but have NO idea where the AFR is and most of the time you lose milage...without the Dyno your guessing.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have a 2005 Ultra Classic with Stage 1 from dealer. Did not get pipes because wanted to check them out. Finally tried some SE II's. Mileage was not very good, usually under 40 MPG, no matter how gentle I was with the throttle. By the way, mileage with Stage 1 & stocks pipes was not good either, usually under 40 MPG also.

Just had dealer put a stock map back in & put stock pipes back on. Did not notice any performance difference. Checking mileage now.

In reading various threads, I find some people increase mileage & some decrease.

·
Premium Member
685 Posts
'05 Fatboy (Anniversary model) with factory installed stage 1 and 95" motor...I have consistently averaged 48-50mpg - in town, around town and on the highway @ any speed below about 85. 85 or up and it drops down to about 45mpg. One group ride this summer at a leisurely pace resulted in 57mpg.

·
?????
3,531 Posts
Had a 05 EG Classic with stage 2 and dealer flash that got an average of 46 - 47 mpg. My 06 Ultra with SE Pro mufflers, SE air cleaner with K&N filter and SERT map gets between 40 and 47 mpg, I suspect that the gas refiners are playing some games with the blends.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts