V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have done a lot of searching on this topic, but I really couldn't find the answer. I'm sure it is here, I'm just not the best at searching yet. Anyway, I have an 05 FXDCI with Slip-on mufflers. I want to add a high flow air cleaner, probably a Sreaming Eagle one. I have no intention of doing anything else to the engine, such as a 95" build, cams, etc. My question is, if I don't plan on any more upgrades, why should I not just have the dealer reflash my ECM for the Stage 1? I realize that the SERT has more flexibility, but since I plan on doing nothing else, I would rather save a few hundred bucks and spend it on other things. Any advice?

·
Banned
69 Posts
If all you do is change the filter

I dont think you need to do a reflash.

Changing the filter shouldnt change the volumetric efficencies of your bike. (At least I dont think so).

The map sensor should be able to compensate for the change in the filter.

I see it like this, changeing the filter is like changing you altitude. Its like going from a higher altitutde to a lower altitude.

I could be wrong, but I dont think you need to re-flash.

I am assuming that you have the stock mufflers when you say you have slip-on mufflers?

If you have infact changed your mufflers then you do need to go to stage 1 download.

·
Total Nutcase
2,691 Posts
It's a crap shoot. Some people get by fine with the Stage I download. Other people find that it's too lean. I've got an '06 with slip-ons and a SE/AC, I got the download and now I need a SERT. Wish there was a better anwser, but there isn't. Do a search on "download" or "stage I" and you'll see what I mean.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
many that know more about these HD's will say that even with the reflash you'll be running lean and to get a tuner of some sort. I have a 2003 FLSTCI and went with a SE AC, SE torque slip ons and dealer reflash. my bike runs good to me, would it run better with a sert or tuner? by what others here say yes but I'm happy with the extra power I gained and am not changing parts on my engine so the dealer flash worked for me. I put the parts on myself and rode to dealer and paid $130 for dealer to reflash my ecm. locally they wanted $280 for reflash.

good luck and ride safe.

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
If you aren't going to do anything else to the engine except the mufflers you've already got and the a/c, a Stage II flash will work w/o being lean.
Where in IN are you?

·
ovanay elinquentday
2,021 Posts
Kevjud said:
I have done a lot of searching on this topic, but I really couldn't find the answer. I'm sure it is here, I'm just not the best at searching yet. Anyway, I have an 05 FXDCI with Slip-on mufflers. I want to add a high flow air cleaner, probably a Sreaming Eagle one. I have no intention of doing anything else to the engine, such as a 95" build, cams, etc. My question is, if I don't plan on any more upgrades, why should I not just have the dealer reflash my ECM for the Stage 1? I realize that the SERT has more flexibility, but since I plan on doing nothing else, I would rather save a few hundred bucks and spend it on other things. Any advice?
Not many "plan" to do more. It just sort of happens. You can find the Sert for about $375. You break even with your second engine change, and are all set for the dyno. The Stage 1 flash worked fine for me for a while (until the engine rebuild and Sert, but like Mega said, you might want to go to a Stage II if you really are only going to do one change (yep, right), so you aren't running on the lean side. If I knew at the time (and it was available) I'd of gone straight to the Sert.

·
Premium Member
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info. I have heard of guys doing the stage 1 reflash just to find it was too lean. I probably will go with the SERT or a DFO like the PC III USB.

Mega, I am located in the northern part of the state by South Bend.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I have the SERT installed on my 05 FXDi with just slip-on's and the Big Sucker AC...not sure what mod's I'll do in the future, but at least my options are open, since I have the SERT. I debated just going with the download, but I'd rather be able to control the fuel system myself, and not have to depend on my dealer.

Go for the SERT.

·
Habitual **************.
234 Posts
SERT! Buy once, cry once. You will never regret your purchase for being limited.
AC and pipes only? Thats a funny one. In time, weakness will come. Followed by a spending spree, horsepower and a need to retune. Its a cronic illness all HD riders sucum to. You can fight it for while, but in the end, you will spend.
RB

·
Forgetter of Things
2,657 Posts
Road Bag said:
SERT! Buy once, cry once. You will never regret your purchase for being limited.
AC and pipes only? Thats a funny one. In time, weakness will come. Followed by a spending spree, horsepower and a need to retune. Its a cronic illness all HD riders sucum to. You can fight it for while, but in the end, you will spend.
RB
Well said, RB:yes:

·
Registered
580 Posts
There is a difference between the SERT,PCBlll and the DFO/TFI module I chose the TFI module just for ease of adjustment and the fact i am not changing it any more than stock ,If I want speed ,I WILL JUMP IN THE STOCK CARS I BUILD,My scoot is for pleasure and it has enough balls to create that without 100+ hp for an 800 lb machine,Thats like riding around in a 375+ hp street car fun but not practicle in the city I live and ride in,I like the TFI so much I became a dealer .So easy to adjust ,just like a carburator,a small screwdriver and away you go.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.