V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
05 Stock Fatboy FI
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have, what I assume is the Stage 1 flash, I brought my bike in to the dealer a while back and had them do a Stage 1 and throw on my new Pro Pipe.

I have 2 questions:

1.) What happens exactly once I use the SERT, does an upload overwrite the Stage 1 flash? So no worry's? Or is there something here that I need to change physically.

2.) The dealer mentioned when I did this, there was a one time charge for a license or or something regarding the ECM. I am a newbie to Harley and everything was a bit overwhelming at that point. I do not have access to the reciept currently so I cannot verify this, but is it possible I paid for the SERT already?:thanks:

Sean

·
Administrator
11,287 Posts
SeanHerr said:
I have, what I assume is the Stage 1 flash, I brought my bike in to the dealer a while back and had them do a Stage 1 and throw on my new Pro Pipe.

I have 2 questions:

1.) What happens exactly once I use the SERT, does an upload overwrite the Stage 1 flash? So no worry's? Or is there something here that I need to change physically.

2.) The dealer mentioned when I did this, there was a one time charge for a license or or something regarding the ECM. I am a newbie to Harley and everything was a bit overwhelming at that point. I do not have access to the reciept currently so I cannot verify this, but is it possible I paid for the SERT already?:thanks:

Sean
1.) Yes it overwrites the stage 1 flash.

2.) If you own the SERT and it is bought and paid for, there is no licence that I no of that you need. It doesn't require and installation by a dealer either.

Start by checking out this thread ... http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60576

·
05 Stock Fatboy FI
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will talk to my dealer on Monday and see what was purchased, but I would think that they would have gave me the parts if I paid for it. I find it hard to believe they would not.

I was just curious after talking to another dealer, they said whenever they put on pipes, they and other dealers usually sell the SERT because the Stage 1 does not compensate for pipes. Is there an validity to this?

·
Administrator
11,287 Posts
It's not that it is valid or not. IMO, no download is valid because it is a "canned" map. The only way to do it right is to make the mods you are going to make and then have it dyno tuned by someone that knows how to tune with a SERT. And just because all the dealers sell SERT's don't assume they all know how to tune with them. Ask around and find out who can do it right.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts