V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Just got back from the dealer and got the download and a/c done on my 06 RKC. Seems to have a little more umphh when you get on it. I find I'm getting some popping on decel, not too bad and wonder if it's from the freekin cold (about 30* with a 30 MPH wind)? Could the temperature cause any issues? I asked the dealer about a SERT and he said it would void the warranty that I just paid over a grand for, so I don't wanna do that. Any opinions on what I could do and keep my warranty? Also asked about the FI service bulletin, and he said he would recommend waiting till the bike has over 1500 miles on it before doing anything as that is when these engines all come together.

Thanks,
Jimmy

·
Average Dude
6,263 Posts
The SERT will not void your warranty. The decel popping is due to the lean dealer flash to your ecm. You were correct in asking about the SERT. It is the answer. From reading other posts here, I think others have had to swap out the injectors for the ones used in the 103.
Do yor research. Read/search posts here about the same thing. There is much info available with a search.
You have tampered with a stock bike, opening a can of worms. Now its time to pay the HD tax. Nothing wrong with it, just when you start changing things, you have to expect some issues.
I say go for it (the SERT that is).
Welcome, and good luck with your bike.

YB

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Warranty

YankeeBob said:
The SERT will not void your warranty. The decel popping is due to the lean dealer flash to your ecm. You were correct in asking about the SERT. It is the answer. From reading other posts here, I think others have had to swap out the injectors for the ones used in the 103.
Do yor research. Read/search posts here about the same thing. There is much info available with a search.
You have tampered with a stock bike, opening a can of worms. Now its time to pay the HD tax. Nothing wrong with it, just when you start changing things, you have to expect some issues.
I say go for it (the SERT that is).
Welcome, and good luck with your bike.

YB
Hey Yankee Bob,

Thanks for your response. I had specifically asked about the SERT and warranty, and the dealer said any device that changes the fuel mapping voids the warranty. :mad: I figured using a HD part would keep it in check, but no avail. I know they have to prove that the SERT or other device caused the problem, or I would have to prove it didn't but who needs the hassle. Just to be sure I called the number on the warranty card and they said the same as the dealer. So now I have to decide if I cancel the warranty and just do the SERT.

Thanks,
Jimmy

·
The Anti-RUB
1,901 Posts
JimmyAGR said:
Hey Yankee Bob,

Thanks for your response. I had specifically asked about the SERT and warranty, and the dealer said any device that changes the fuel mapping voids the warranty. :mad: I figured using a HD part would keep it in check, but no avail. I know they have to prove that the SERT or other device caused the problem, or I would have to prove it didn't but who needs the hassle. Just to be sure I called the number on the warranty card and they said the same as the dealer. So now I have to decide if I cancel the warranty and just do the SERT.
Thats a load of bull. If that were true, the Stage-1 Download you just had done has already voided your warranty. It changes the fuel map in the ECM. The guy doesn't know what he's talking about. The Stage-1 Download is essentially a canned SERT map. Don't know who you got your warranty through, but if it was HD warranty, the only thing that could completely void your warranty would be if you made the bike no longer street legal. Applying a SERT map does not, on its own, do that. A good tuner is able to tune the bike to keep it street legal and still get the best performance out of it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Petrock

Dude, what you said makes perfect sense. I just wonder what would happen if I used that logic on the mighty HD. I think I read a post from Mega that there was a lot of legal proceeding on sh!t like this. Just wondering if it's worth the hassel, or should I get a refund on the the warranty. That would pay for a SERT, and .....
Thanks for your help.

Jimmy

·
Hellbound Train
5,595 Posts
If the dealer is making that statement, switch dealers. They can fight you on it and you might win in the long run but why go through all that. If he's refusing to install it, it's probably because he doesn't have a tech that can tune it. Find a dealer that will, there are many.

·
Average Dude
6,263 Posts
JimmyAGR said:
Dude, what you said makes perfect sense. I just wonder what would happen if I used that logic on the mighty HD. I think I read a post from Mega that there was a lot of legal proceeding on sh!t like this. Just wondering if it's worth the hassel, or should I get a refund on the the warranty. That would pay for a SERT, and .....
Thanks for your help.

Jimmy
Get the warranty refund, pack up your bike, and go buy your sert from a dealer who won't feed you bullsh!t.

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
dealers arnt all bad

Seveal Service maintenance managers Ihave spoke with in that regard
told me only the parts you install and the negetive effects they
have on corallating parts are not warrenteed. Know what I mean,
bend a push rod,pushing the envelope to 6500 rpms on a stage one or colapse a lifter. Of course I should have got that in writeing.

·
Banned
69 Posts
Popping on decel can be either rich or lean

I suspect you are rich on decel. But that is ok. And if thats the way the factory wants it(because you cant mess with the map) then so be it.

All sert maps have lower afrs set for the closed throttle position( 20 kpa manifold pressure). I suspect this is to protect the engine. Notice the afr's at high rpm and closed throttle( 20 kpa map) in the following picture.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
I was experiencing poping and backfiring on deceleration on my 2000 FLHRCI with a H-D 95" kit and air cleaner and exhaust changes. I initially thought it was running too rich but after installing a Power Commander PCIII USB I got rid of the backfiring by richening the low rpm mix. It had been too lean....

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
...forgot to mention...depending on how far it was from the dealer to your house with that kind of ambient temperature your bike may not have warmed up good. A cold motor has a tendency to pop also.

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
sert may be to blame

There is a problem occuring now on 06 bikes built before febuary 2006.They are replacing the fuel injectors, because one of the problems backfireing on decel occures due to leannes. This will be a recall. the replacemet will be the injectors they now place on the 103. more spray holes instead of only 3 holesnow on pre feb. bikes. I read the new ones can supply enough fuel to power a 200 hp. big twin.

·
Banned
69 Posts
classic_tourist

You can cure popping by richening it up but that doesnt mean it was lean to begin with. It just means that you made it so rich that it wont even pop!

From my experience, when the bike is lean its more of a crackle when you close the throttle. When its rich its more of a pop.

Also, when its lean the crackle is IMMEDIATE when the throttle is closed. When its is rich there is a slight, but noticable delay between when you close the throttle and you hear the pops.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts