V-Twin Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
According to the Harley Davidson Website use of the pro street tuner does not affect warranty coverage. The pro street tuner has limitations for adjustments but it does allow you to load factory performance parameters as you add performance mods produced by Harley Davidson. It is still for sale on their website. Amazing that they would sell performance kits and devices to load software that would void warranty on their motorcycles.

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Their tuner and their tune software will NOT violate the EPA standard. It can’t by order of the courts when the EPA settlement took place a couple years ago. Thus the warranty is voided, per the EPA settlement, if anything other than Screaming Beagle parts are used.
If the bike is new, even the Screaming Eagle upgrades are under warranty if done within 60 days of delivery to the owner. As others have said, check with the dealer, and if possible even check with another dealer nearby.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I just called the dealer in Burlington North Carolina. The service department stated that if Screaming Eagle parts are installed and the pro street tuner is used for calibration software your factory warranty will not be affected. The use of any 3rd party parts will void the factory warranty. This makes sense to me. If you put in a set of, for instance, S&S cams and used a fuelpak management system it's not a Harley motor anymore. The Screaming Eagle performance upgrades are certified by the EPA during the engineering and testing phase so the EPA is happy. They know the level of emissions that will be produced. Harley knows the effect the upgrades have on the engine so they can warranty the bike. You can perform the upgrade yourself if you want to. I did the stage one on my 2012 103ci along with a set of Street Cannon slip on mufflers and noticed an improvement in power and smoothness when cruising at high speed. For me, stage one performance is enough.

·
Registered
129 Posts
As others have mentioned, leave it alone for now. By the end of summer you will have a better idea of what you want. FWIW a stage 1 tuner from HD is pretty much useless in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I would leave a Brand New Ride Alone for the First 2,000 Miles anyway .. Learn more about it before playing with your Warranty ..
Exactly!

Never owned a bike before? :duh2:
You need to learn how to ride it on the streets before worrying about more power. Ride with your head , not your wrist!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Do it in stages..................On my new FLHX the dealer has put the Screaming Eagle Street Cannons on it for now. Good sound, and slightly better performance.

Next step will be to complete the Stage 1 by just changing the Intake and doing the mapping.

Easier to spread out the cost a bit and do it as a winter storage project now

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
They call it a Stage 1 because it is the base for the next stage and the next. If you have it in the back of your mind that you are going to chase more power then you need to really think about a stage 1. If you do a basic Stage 1, end up going for a full Stage 3 or 4 down the road your exhaust choices may not be the the best for the job. The freer flowing exhaust you may enjoy as a stage 1, may not be the best option for your Stage 3 or 4.
And the freer exhaust you would use will not work well for a Stage 1.
Si try to figure out where you plan to end the chase.

·
Make me use my bullet?
12,579 Posts
Do it in stages..................On my new FLHX the dealer has put the Screaming Eagle Street Cannons on it for now. Good sound, and slightly better performance.

Next step will be to complete the Stage 1 by just changing the Intake and doing the mapping.

Easier to spread out the cost a bit and do it as a winter storage project now
So, start off with a Stage 0.3?

·
Registered
15 Posts
If it were mine, I would put a few miles on it first. See what you like/dislike about the power characteristics. Stage 1 might not be enough for you.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
I think the OP got a Stage fright?

·
blipper
5,196 Posts
My thoughts on Stage 1...your experience may differ:

This '19 Road Glide is worlds different (read: better) than I had ever expected, and I found it very enjoyable to ride for the first couple of weeks as I worked the drivetrain thru break-in.
After 1 K stage 1 was needed...for me anyway.

Throttle lag wasn't extreme and easily overcome by dragging the rear brake and slipping the clutch a tad through the higher speed sweepers. Still, I was hoping that a stage up would help.

SE Ventilator A/C, S&S slip-ons and re-programming with a SERT have all but defeated the lag at mid-range, and cranking the motor into the powerband at around 3,500 rpm is sheer joy. Now, I'm thinking cam work and Stage 2.

Because this is my first tourer, I was a little dismayed by the hushed exhaust notes, until I realized that those hard bags block a lot of the deeper frequencies from getting to my ears inside a FF helmet. So, those S&S produced a sound improvement, too. Exhaust note is a little throatier without being obnoxious. I still have the Night Train if I want to wake up the neighbors :chopper:

21 - 34 of 34 Posts
About this Discussion
33 Replies
24 Participants
Scrubs
V-Twin Forum
V-Twin Harley Davidson forum. Discussion on V-Twin Harley Davidson motorcycles including Dyna, Electra Glide, Softail, Sportster, and more.
Full Forum Listing