V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m getting ready to get a 2019 SG. I have never owned a bike before. I want to get a stage done on it. While mechanically inclined. Ie I can put the parts on. Does it need to go to a dealer for any tuning?

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
You can do it your self. However the issue that comes up the forced EPA judgment against Harley. They are required to void the warranty unless exact standards are followed and you likely can not do that your self.
One the parts must be EPA approved for the bike and with the tune. Many seem to leave that part out. To met EPA requirements it would have to be done with the approved HD tuner and done with in EPA reg.
Yes you can do it yourself but you will end up with warranty issues. And don't blame HD blame the EPA .
Now if you really think you can get a lot of power out of a stage 1 someone has sold you a line of crap. The gain is not much of done with in the EPA limits.
Most if they were honest do it to make the bike louder.
Enjoy your new ride check the facts with a lot of the BS coming your way.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Break it in with a few thousand miles. Then talk to the dealer's service dept about what you want and what is required to maintain the warranty.

Rob

·
Super Moderator
19,343 Posts
I’m getting ready to get a 2019 SG. I have never owned a bike before. I want to get a stage done on it. While mechanically inclined. Ie I can put the parts on. Does it need to go to a dealer for any tuning?
To avoid warranty issues, it has to be done at the dealer with SE parts. Some dealers will sell some aftermarket cans, but that is not the MoCo policy.

The Dealer will flash a new tune on it.

You can run a slipon with out re-tuning, long as the slipon has a decent baffle in it. But if you mess with the air box, it needs a retune.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Having never owned a bike before do you really want to sink extra cash into iy, that you will never recover if the bike thing does not work out for you?
if you want it a bit louder but still at a reasonable level Put some SE pipes on it call it done for now. No tuner , do listen to a word the sales person says get you bike and maybe your pipes and ride away. You can always do more latter but undoing it means you lose.
For a first bike a new m8 is going to be plenty fast enough.

·
Registered
15,489 Posts
The "Dreams" were pretty sucky in my opinion...
I used to take my dad's Dream in the soybean field behind the house. As close as I could get to a dirt bike when I was 14.

Sent from my 2 Tin Cans With A String using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
19,343 Posts
First real motorcycles I rode were Bridgestones. Mostly 100's and 175's but occasionally a 350GRT. Pops sold them at the hardware store.

Got to test ride it around the lot if I put it together.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
I used to take my dad's Dream in the soybean field behind the house. As close as I could get to a dirt bike when I was 14.

Sent from my 2 Tin Cans With A String using Tapatalk
At 14 every bike or mini bike was a dirt bike. And beating the baffles out or cutting the pipe off made it faster and we believed it .
Along with some 104 octane gas

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the input. I am looking to improve sound. I have heard at best with a full stage one a 10% power gain. I’m just looking for the best route to get that good deep throaty sound with out messing with the cam.

·
Registered
464 Posts
First real motorcycles I rode were Bridgestones. Mostly 100's and 175's but occasionally a 350GRT. Pops sold them at the hardware store.

Got to test ride it around the lot if I put it together.
66-68 somewhere in there, I had just got a 65 Suzuki 80.. I thought I was the schnizzle. 11/12 years old riding on the dirt trails.. Then a guy rode up to me in a new Hodaka.. A 100 I think, it had a tube frame and was just a lean mean machine.

·
Registered
3 Posts

If it were me and I was mostly concerned with sound, I’d throw a slip on exhaust and enjoy it for at least a month. I had the stage iv done on my 17’, along with some other stuff, and while it improved the numbers on paper, the real world return on investment wasn’t really there given how heavy these bikes are to begin with. That 2019 SG will have plenty of grunt stock.

I think I put the S&S Mk45 exhaust on my bike. Great tone.

As others have mentioned, you’ll want to check first with your dealer on what will/won’t void your warranty in terms of upgrades. I replaced the speakers in the batwing and added an amp at a high end stereo shop that the sales manager recommended. When my heated grips went out, the service department initially told me my warranty was void due to the work being done outside of HD. Thankfully I still had the text from the sales mgr suggesting I take my bike there and the general manager and service mgr stepped up to make it right.

Point being, protect your investment because that warranty may come in handy, and congratulations on the sweet ride.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Thanks for the input. I am looking to improve sound. I have heard at best with a full stage one a 10% power gain. I’m just looking for the best route to get that good deep throaty sound with out messing with the cam.
10% in a prefect world. If a better sound is what you want find pipes you like and call it good. After a couple 1,000 miles pipes will pick up a bit more tone.
Removing CAT makes only a very slight difference in tone , it does not really make it louder. Not worth the effort unless the CAT heat bothers a passenger
To loud, remember this . Hearing Aids are expensive..

·
Registered
148 Posts
Having never owned a bike before do you really want to sink extra cash into iy, that you will never recover if the bike thing does not work out for you?
if you want it a bit louder but still at a reasonable level Put some SE pipes on it call it done for now. No tuner , do listen to a word the sales person says get you bike and maybe your pipes and ride away. You can always do more latter but undoing it means you lose.
For a first bike a new m8 is going to be plenty fast enough.

This is good, and simple, advice. Yes, you can do all the work yourself, including getting a tuner and reprogramming the ECM. It’s not hard. But if you’re worried about the warranty thing, take this suggestion. I have a buddy with an M8 and he got SE pipes at the dealer when he bought. It sounds great. Not super loud, but definitely a Harley sound. This would be a good first step if sound is what you’re going for...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
58 Posts
If it's your first motorcycle. Why oh why do you need a "Stage one" kit on it. Just go ride the hell out of it for 10 or 20 thousand miles. Enjoy the bike. In a year or so down the road if you want it faster. Take it to a dealer & have a stage one tune done to it. Put on an air cleaner, pipe some mild cams. Tune the ecu and off you go. But you don't need a "Stage one" tune now.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
About this Discussion
33 Replies
24 Participants
Scrubs
V-Twin Forum
V-Twin Harley Davidson forum. Discussion on V-Twin Harley Davidson motorcycles including Dyna, Electra Glide, Softail, Sportster, and more.
Full Forum Listing