V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was at the HD dealer yesterday and one of the mechanics noticed I had Vance Hines pipes on my 2002 FLSTSI w/EFI and suggested that I put in a Stage 1 chip and air filter to increase the performance of the engine. Has anyone done this modification and if so, what where your gains? Any other thoughts are also welcome. Thanks.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I had the stage1 done with Thunderheader exhaust & screaming eagle aircleaner. As for the performance gains,I had everything installed before I picked up bike.It runs great.You might want to have it done just for piece of mind,or at least check your plugs to see if your running lean.

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
A 2002 EFI bike with low restriction exhaust of any kind (which is almost anything aftermarket except some of the Screamin Eagle stuff) will not run very well with stock air cleaner and EFI program. Most likely your bike is running lean. Spend the $300 on air cleaner and reprogram and get an easy 8 HP and a better running bike.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Stage 1

skydoc,

Howdy from north Texas. I live west of Wichita falls, a few hours south and west of you.

I have an 02 Ultra with the complete Stage 1 setup: Screaming Eagle performance pipes, Screaming Eagle Air Filter kit, and the Stage 1 chip flashed in. The answer to your question is YES !!! The difference is noticible, with quicker and crisper throttle response at the top of the list.

DaveT
Army Vet
'Nam era

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback folks. I will be taking the bike to the dealer for the mods ASAP. DaveT we should get together. The Falls aren't far from here at all. Maybe do lunch there some Saturday, its as good a reason for a ride as any. The weather is starting to get better nowadays (except the high winds). Send me an e-mail if you want to get together. Thanks again.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Skydoc since no one mentioned it, KEEP THE PARTS COMING OFF!!

If you ever decide to go to 95 or higher you will need to go back to stock config first.

Stage one is a good investment.

·
Registered
977 Posts
skydoc

skydoc,

I'll holler to see about lunch in Wichita Falls as soon as I know I'm headed that way. In the last few weeks, there have been a few others here buy new Harleys, so we might make it a group ride.

Have you ever been to the HD shop in Iowa Park, just west of Wichita Falls? Red River Harley-Davidson is a good shop with great people, large parts and clothing inventory and a top notch service manager. If you wanted to meet there some Saturday, I could introduce you to everybody...... :)

Be careful out there,
DaveT

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dave,

I was at Red River HD a couple of weeks ago. I met Charlie Taylor from parts I think is where he works. Nice guy. RRHD has a good reputation up here in Lawton. Just let me know and I'll be there. Dave Price and I were able to get together this weekend down here in Medicine Park at a HOG run. Lots of nice bikes.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Power Commander

SkyDoc:
Have you considered installing the Power Command module?
Check it out at www.powercommander.com.

How do you like sound of the V&H pipes compared to stock? I'm trying to decide on V&H or Screamin Eagle for my '02 Road King.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I just bought a new '02 Roadking Classic and I first installed a set of Hooker slip-ons, I rode it like that for a few hundred miles, until I could get a day off to take it for the re-flash.
I rode it to my dealer and installed a big sucker breather kit in the parking lot and then took it in to have the re-flash done, after the re-flash and the breather kit I couldn't believe the difference in the way it runs now. I would definitely have it done.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hooker Slip-on Choice

DonB:
I also have a new '02 Road King Classic. I'm trying to make a decision on slip-on mufflers.
Why did you pick the Hooker slip-ons over the Screamin Eagle, Vance and Hines, etc...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just got my 2002 Fat Boy. I live in California with all the air quality restrictions. What maybe some good basic modifications that I should consider for performance?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Had the Stage 1 modification done. What a difference! I would recommend it. nrevezzo, I just like the sound of Vance Hines pipes. I have the straight shots. The dealer threw them in when I bought the bike to sweeten the deal since I mentioned that I really didn't like the stock pipes at all.

·
Registered
187 Posts
nrevezzo: Sorry for the late reply, I got the Hookers because I liked the sound better than the SE's and I also liked the slimmer profile of them. I'm really pleased with them. They have a baffle that can be tuned for torque or HP, I found that I like the sound with both of them set for HP.
I ran into a guy that had them on his Roadking and had a chance to listen to them before I bought a set. The quality of them are on par with the V&H, I had a Deuce with V&H longshots and these are of the same quality.

I'll try and post a pic of my bike with them.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks for the Info

DonB, SkyDoc:
Thanks for the information. I have some decisions to make so I'm ready when Spring arrives.

·
Registered
575 Posts
DonB,

FNG here. I have been lurking for a while but haven't posted yet.

I also have a new 02 roadking classic coming in march. Shipping date is the 21st. Nice bike you have there. Is that the hooker slipons? How loud are they compared to the SE's? What seat is that? Is it stock or aftermarket? If not stock, what kind and where did you find it? Is it comfortable for two up riding for both the rider and passenger? Thanks for your help.

This is a great site and I have learned a lot. Thanks for the help guys!

·
Registered
187 Posts
mill540: Congratulations on your new bike, I know you are going to like it.

Those are the Hooker slip-ons, I chose them over the SE's because to me they had more of the potato, potato sound that I like. They are loud, but not obnoxious and they have a great mellow sound while cruising. The best thing to do is go to a bike nite or even a chapter meeting in your area and listen to the different pipes to hear for yourself, then decide which ones you like the best. The SE's, Hookers, V&H etc. are all good quality pipes though, it just depends what type of sound that suits you.

The seat on my bike is the Sundowner Touring Bucket Seat for the RKC in the Harley catalog, #51615-99B, I really like it, it is very comfortable for both rider and passenger. That was one of the requirements from my wife for me being able to get the new bike. I had a '01 Deuce with a Badlander seat and she wasn't too happy about riding it. The stock RKC seat is ok for one person, but there's not much on the rear for a rider.

The backrest pad is the Harley large oval on the detachable backrest, my wife is happy with it, so I'm very happy with it.

I've installed a Big Sucker breather kit, the Hooker slip-on's and had the stage 1 re-flash done and this bike runs great, has plenty of power and I couldn't be more satisfied with it. I have no desire to do anything else engine wise to it.

Good Luck with your new bike and if I can help in any way, don't hesitate to ask.

·
Registered
575 Posts
DonB:

Thanks for the advice and information. That is exactly what I was looking for. Sounds just like what I would want to do to my bike when it arrives. Enjoy your ride, I know I will when mine finally arrives.

Pasadenajim:

Thanks for the welcome.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts