V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there have been other discussions re: the stage 1 kit for the FI models, but in many cases the members had it installed at delivery so were unable to tell the difference, or added it along with louder muffflers which can somethimes give their own ipression of performance which may not actually exist (at least in my experience). Two weeks ago I took delivery of an 2002 Road King. I had the dealer install the SE slip ons before I picked it up (but no other changes). Yesterday, I picked it up after the 1k service (actually about 1400 miles). During the service I had the stage 1 kit and the remapping of the efi done. No other changes.

This difference was significant, particularly low to mid rmp throttle response at say 2500-3500 RPM. Impressive improvement. Can also hear the intake noise from the new air cleaner, not obnoxious, just able to hear it. There may also be some improvement at higher RPMs, but not as sure. Very well worth the money, imho.

greg

·
Registered
187 Posts
Have you noticed any popping or backfiring through the intake or exhaust with the stage 1? I have heard that might be a problem. All I have done to mine so far is knock out the two plugs in the left muffler and the back plug in the right and drilled a half-inch hole in the front plug. The helped it breath better and evened out the backpressure.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Just put the Stage 1 kit on my '02 Night Train injected at the 1500 mile mark with SE II exhaust. I had the dealer do the download and it did make a difference. When I put the exhaust and stage 1 kit on I was gettting a bit of popping on the backpressure, after the download it went away. It did make a difference in the low end and torque and it sounds like a harley now without being too loud.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I notice only a nominal amount of popping/backfiring on decelleration. Seems less than on other bikes I have had, although they were all carberated (spelling sucks). So far I'm more pleased than usual on this type of mod (I've tried the chips on my car and didn't get near the improvement).

Has anyone gone from the stage 1 to the stage 2 (96" I believe)? If stage 2 gives comparative improvements it will be my next change (after warranty expires).

greg

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
Greg,

You saved your stock parts right?

On another thread, JimmyK advised that Stage 2 was an upgrade from stock, not from Stage 1.

wyo

1 - 6 of 6 Posts