V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone heard both pipes? Is the Fatcat louder? I had a ProPipe on my last bike and couldn't hear the speakers at highway speeds plus the pitch was just plain annoying, at least to my ears.

·
Registered
365 Posts
If you want a quieter 2in1 pipe that will perform I was told to git the Supertrapp and put like 17 disc in it. Has anybody used one of these.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have a fatcat with the quiet baffle, and it is not quiet. It is quieter than the regular baffle, but not quiet by any means.

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
The ST w/ closed cap is not quiet, but it is quieter. if you have a bagger with the stock pipes, the S&S SPOs are quieter.

·
Premium Member
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am running 24 discs with a closed end cap on a GMR 107". they dyno'd it down to 13 discs with 24 producing the best t-curve.

The reason I asked the difference in noise between the fatcat and st 2:1 is I am told I could improve my numbers by switching out to a fatcat but won't do it if the noise level increases.

The ST isn't real quiet under load but when I reach cruising speed it mellows out enough to listen to music.

BTW, had the SPO's before the ST and they were fine, however there was a significant increase in low end power after going to the ST.

·
Premium Member
733 Posts

·
I paid.........did you??
2,301 Posts
I ran the Supertrapp 2-1 for about 8 months, 17 discs with the closed endcap........and I actually found it to be too quiet for my likes. And the sound of it was too much of a "phfft" sound for.....just didn't sound like the HD sound everyone wants.

I now have the Fatcat 2-1 with quiet baffle, and the performance is better, the sound quality is better, and it is a bit louder then the Supertrapp. It has a great sound to it, and the quality of the pipe is second to none.

Everyone's opinion on loudness is very subjective to the individual, what is loud to me might not be loud to the next person. I felt that the Supertrapp was too quiet with the closed endcap and too blatty with the open endcap......and adjusting the discs to find the "right" combo was a real pain in the a ss.

Steve

·
"Jane you ignorant slut!"
2,292 Posts
On my 06 I ran an open end cap because I knew I wouldn't like the sound closed. I thought it sounded great and was not too loud.

On my 08 I have the FC quiet baffle. It's quieter than the ST open. I can leave the house and not wake up the neighbors but it will bark when loaded down hard.

I think the Fatcat is best sounding pipe and I'm very touchy about noise. I had to wear ear plugs with my pro-pipe to stop the ringing in my ears.

Chris

·
Registered
133 Posts
I had the fatcat quiet baffle on a 103 build and it was too noisy for me. I went with the supertrap, w end cap, and it works very well. much quieter than the d&d, but still sounds very nice. I did really like the d&d, but just too loud for me.

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
I had a true dual setup with WildPigs with the 1-3/4" baffles before my ST. I feel that the ST with the open cap is quieter and deeper than the Duals. Now my bike is not a high compression motor so that may be why its quiet. The only Fatcat I heard was louder and had a deeper tone than my ST but I don't know if that was the quiet baffle and motor specs.

·
<><
3,971 Posts
dennish said:
I am running 24 discs with a closed end cap on a GMR 107". they dyno'd it down to 13 discs with 24 producing the best t-curve.

The reason I asked the difference in noise between the fatcat and st 2:1 is I am told I could improve my numbers by switching out to a fatcat but won't do it if the noise level increases.
1. The fatcat WILL be louder.

2. Tell us more about your build/numbers.

·
Premium Member
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
PR3VS56 said:
1. The fatcat WILL be louder.

2. Tell us more about your build/numbers.
I had GMR do a 107", w/R&R cast heads, 615/585 gear drive cams & camplate, S&S roller rockers, Rivera Primo clutch, HPI 51mm tb & ST 2:1 Supermeg. Mike Stegman at Latus dyno'd it, 117hp/117tq. He said he could have tweaked it to get a few more ponies on paper but liked this tq curve the best. He said he was impressed with how the tq curve comes up to 100lbs at 2700 rpm and stays over 100 until 6300 rpm. The bike runs great.

Steve thought my numbers were a little low for the build. He thinks/knows the ST is what is holding me back, I could see another 10hp with a FatCat. At this stage I'd rather spend the $$ and go 117/124" to get the extra hp/tq than put up with the extra noise. I'm past the days of searching for the ultimate h-d exhaust sound.

·
<><
3,971 Posts
Those are nice numbers.. I'll bet you like that RiveraPrimo! It's my favorite component. The 1-2 chirp is fun.

Too bad there's no way to simulate pipe results without actually spending the bucks. Although, as I was going through my pipe choices (4 total) it wasn't that bad. I just bought the pipes cheap, sold them as slightly used, didn't take much of a hit.

I'm with you on the noise.

·
Premium Member
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks. Yes it is a gas to drive, push you back in the seat power from 2000rpm up. Now sixth gear feels like a passing gear.

Really like the primo, big difference from stock. Didn't know there would be such a difference.

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
The loud pipe from one person to another is hard. AS it has been said what is loud to me may not be to you. Overall the fat cat is a bit loud is you whack the throttle wide open but under curise I think it is a nice sound. You have a great running bike, there are gains to be had but if you do not want it any louder than I think you will be hard pressed to get more power and with less noise. AS well the sound made by the ST vs the FC are not alike. So that throws another wrench into the mix. ( no pun) We just did a 107 here with D&D dullie head pipes and SPO mufflers. Now I was shocked as I thought it was louder than the fat cat with quite baffle. I have only heard a few sets of those but on stock bikes

1 - 16 of 16 Posts