V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got one for my newest 87 low rider. Like it says who’s done it. What’s your set up. ( carb ,pipe, ignition,ect. Just looking to see what you all have done and what worked. Gonna get the old heart out this weekend and hopefully it goes back together without to much 🩸 and sweat. As always guys thank you for your input

Attachments

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I have one in my ‘91. Got it on trade for some work. It’s a good lil powerhouse I’d say. I’m running a mikuni 45 and thunderheader with a HI-4n ignition. I tapped the header and put in a wide band O2 sensor and AFR gauge so I could play around with tuning since the mikuni seems endless in options. Mine is a bit loud in valve train whine to me, not sure if they are all that way or not. Tried swapping pinion/cam gears but didn’t do much difference. That would be my only complaint, that and the polished version like this one is a bitch to keep up with.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Jake,
Did you check the "drag" on the cam vs. pinion-gear in different flywheel-positions......and then measure your gears with the correct size pins so that you can better order the correct fitting gear(s) (?).
This is done through the case-holes where the lifter-blocks-mount......and the cam-cover is installed.

·
Make me use my bullet?
13,757 Posts
If you're looking for info or advice on a 111 then Tall Terry is probably the guy to talk to, or better yet, listen to.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Jake,
Did you check the "drag" on the cam vs. pinion-gear in different flywheel-positions......and then measure your gears with the correct size pins so that you can better order the correct fitting gear(s) (?).
This is done through the case-holes where the lifter-blocks-mount......and the cam-cover is installed.
I did measure the gears with the correct pins and ordered the right size needed but it didnt change much if any, so Im fairly sure its not too tight in fitment. As far as drag measurement, seeing how I dont really understand how to do that, Im going to say no I did not haha

·
Registered
9,975 Posts
Shoot me a PM,,,, i will ask some info from you and give you what i know will be an excellent 111, for your specific needs.
he OP just buying a crate 111, and tossing it on, or?? It matters.

What bike? What gearing, and the weight of the passengers And gear.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts