V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a Garmin SP 2720. I've returned two back to Garmin for 'screen fogging'. Two weeks after receiving my new units, they too started with the infamous 'screen fog'. I started searching the web and found it's not an uncommon problem. Unknown to me, behind the ratcheting mechanism (for angling it up and down), there are 4 little holes hidden back there for expelling excessive moisture that builds up inside the units. I placed my unit on my furnace vent with the little holes exposed and the condensation on the screen disappeared. Took it around for a ride yesterday and the fog did not reappear.
One dude took his dremel tool and removed the excess plastic so the holes could breathe. While mounted on your scoot, in the Garmin lockable cradle, the holes are covered by plastic, so they can't help expel the excess moisture. I hope this solves the problem. If not, Garmin has lost a good customer.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Hmmmmm. I've got a 2720 I bought new in April of 2007. It's been in some heavy downpours on the bike since then and I haven't had a problem, YET.

I looked at the toothed piece on the bottom and don't see 4 holes there anywhere. Can you post a pic??? Now I'm curious.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't, but follow this link and scroll down the page. Lots of people have had the same problem. My pal is on his third unit also. My unit has been thru lots and lots of rain.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=254910
I checked the Garmin website, and these same instructions are posted there, too. What quality. Sorta like when the guages fog on your scoot. The MoFoCo's official stance: Push the vehicle into direct sunlight and let the condensation evaporate. More Quality.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Sorry to hear about your trouble. Garmin is considered by many to be the best out there. I have had two of them (different models). One had an antenna connection break in the first year that was covered under warranty repair with immediate turn around. Never had any other problems. Overall, I have been very happy with their quality and support services.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Wow. Never heard of this problem. I've had a Garmin 2610 since Jan 06. Been through heavy fog and pouring rain several times with it and never had any problems.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts