V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This sound started up on the way back from lunch today. It was briefly preceded by some knocking not present in the video. I know diagnosing sounds from a video is not the best, but I was hoping for any direction.

1996 FLHT 80,000 miles. The last things done was a clutch freeplay adjustment yesterday. I was able to check all three holes for oil and they're fine. The primary chain adjuster is still there and tight. The bike ran with no hiccups getting it back to the office other than the sound.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks,
Robert

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok so the sound goes away when the clutch is pulled in. If I do the clutch quickly I can feel a little "clunk / knock" to it. That's a terrible description.

The reason for the clutch freeplay adjustment yesterday was trouble shifting / finding neutral. I had done the full clutch adjustment about a month ago. I usually wait two free play adjustments for every full adjustment. Sensing that this adjustment didn't last that long and that the cable is around 50k miles, I had just ordered a new clutch cable this morning before this happened.

The bike is an everyday commuter so there are miles between an adjustment a month ago to today.

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I went through old receipts to confirm that the transmission had all new bearings, including a new 5th mainshaft gear and new run out bearings about 20,000 miles ago. The actual clutch plates are much older about 12 years old (50,000 miles). I had the plates inspected last time anyone was in there about 2 years back (10,000miles) and was told they look fine.

I'm just trying to be thorough with my info.

Thanks,
Robert

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll just go ahead and put a pin in this thread for now. I went to ride it the two miles home and the knocking (not heard in the video) was brutal. I just parked it at work and will have it towed to a shop tomorrow. I'll update with the issues when I hear back.

·
Registered
8,439 Posts
check the torque on the 2 nuts on the right side of the transmission shafts.. under the clutch release cover.. many mechanics do not use new nuts.. they are 1 use items since they are self locking.. they can be reused if new nuts are not available, if the threads are totally degreaser and red loctite is used..

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for the replies. I will definitely mention to the shop.

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Under the clutch release cover were two visibly failed bearings: the small one in front of the oil slinger and the left throw out one. The gear set is getting pulled to replace the bearings inside and check the gears for damage.

The oil definitely sparkled.

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
That actually sounds like a sound I herd on a bike before where the front pulley retainer screws backed out and started cutting into the back side of the inner primary.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts