V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I am running in 4th or 5th gear and I let off the throttle quickly I hear a quick high pitched squeal. It also happens when I downshift from 5th to 4th or 4th to 3rd but it does not do it at lower speeds in the lower gears just at 40 to 50 mph and above. It's just a quick high pitched squeal for a second when I roll off the throttle or downshift at higher speeds. Bike is a 03 Road King, any ideas ? Thanks !!!

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
Its common

Clean your belt with a mild degreaser and sit on your bike and have someone adjust your belt or adjust it yourself in very small incremments until it stops.:thumbsup:

·
Delinquent
1,780 Posts
Mine made a squeal when the comp nut just started to come loose, then the low end knock started when the squeal stopped. Is the sound coming from the primary side?

·
Registered
271 Posts
when I do that on my bike, my wife squeals:hystria:
might have something to do with sliding back and forth on the seat:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Belt is clean and tension is good, still squeals (1 second, high pitch) upon decel or downshift. Can't tell what side the squeal noise is coming from, I hear it equally on both sides. ????????????????? Thanks for the replies !!!

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
try waxing the edges of the belt should stop the sqealing. I use a silicone paste on mine. Almost all will do it. The belt is designed to run to one side of the rear pully and it is the edge contact that you are hearing.

·
Comfortably numb.....
41 Posts
Harley makes a lubricant called Poly-Oil specifically for your drive belt. You apply it to the outside edges of the belt. Part # is 99860-81

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
jawrider said:
when I do that on my bike, my wife squeals:hystria:
might have something to do with sliding back and forth on the seat:thumbsup:
Wax the seat, she won't stick.

·
Let er rip!
2,876 Posts
Mine had a quick chirp on decel when the belt was too loose. The belt would slap the top inside as the slack catches up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts