V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had a 10,000 mile service done on my 2005 FXDCI, and on the way home under a light load (30-35 mph in third gear) I periodically experienced a squealing noise and my bike seemed to slow down. I went back to the dealer and explained the situation, and the mechanic took it for a ride. Of course nothing happened while he was riding it, but he thought perhaps the shoe, for adjusting the primary chain, got a little out of position after he checked it. He said the primary didn't need to be tightened, but he checked it. He said that usually if the primary chain gets out of the groves made in the shoe, it could make noise for awhile, but should go away soon. Is this true, or is somebody giving me the 'Old Soft Shoe' routine? If that isn't making the noise, what do you suppose it is, and why did it occur right after the 10,000 mile service?

Billy Roy

·
Registered
798 Posts
I think he is giving you a line of BS. Did he tighten the rear belt? Take a bar of soap and rub it on the edges of the rear belt, take it for a ride. If the squeal is gone, youve found your problem.

·
not sober all the time
5,585 Posts
The squealing

It's your wallet crying over the cost of the 10,000 mile service. :roflback:

I think DEW2112's explanation is closer to reality.

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
I would say that he is so full of S**T, I can smell him from here. I bet he did tighten the primary chain, otherwise how in the world would the chain just suddenly begin to ride in a different position. I would bet that the primary chain is too tight and when it is warmed up to operating temperature from riding, that there is no deflection in it. This can't be good on the inner primary seal/bearing as well. Also would bet that he final drive belt is also too tight. If you have a lift, ride the bike to operating temp and raise it up. While in neutral, turn the rear wheel and note how much effort it takes to actually turn it. This will let you know.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts