V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you work on big twins built since 2007, you should watch this video.

Checking the sprocket shaft runout is the first thing you should do before making upgrades to your big twin.

This issue is also the reason why just welding the pin does not always fix oem cranks. Welded cranks that are better than 0005 at the bearings can still be more than 10 out at the splines.

The splines being cut off center has become a huge issue with the later M8's.

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
Really wish he had checked/recorded things prior to making the tool. I would have opted for more info on the shaft. Holding the "good" end, checking the runout there and at the splined end would have been my preference.
Cutting the splines off center {WTF} would give you some odd shapes to deal with {as mentioned} and would be trouble.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I watch Kevin's U tubes and he knows his stuff> Shame on Harley they have had a lot of issues since the end of EVO motor.

·
Registered
9,637 Posts
If no one has been paying attention for the last 4 or 5 decades,, harley has been having issues with every new engine introduction... by the time all the issues are ironed out,,,,, harley fields a brand new engine with different problems... and it starts all over again..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts