V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 98 FXSTS, and was out riding this weekend and got about a mile from the house, slowed down at a stoplight, I heard this rubbing sound. I looked down and thought maybe one of the front pads gave way or something. After getting the bike home I looked and the fender was rubbing on the tire. The fender had come loose at the pivot points on the rear of the fork leg. Both pivot bolts had sheared off in the fork leg.

Any one had this problem? No, I haven't been stump jumping or anything like that and didn't hit any potholes or dogs.

Is it possible to run the bike without the front fender? (short trips only, until I fix it at least) Will this effect steering or handling?

Regards,

Jockeyshift

·
Registered
312 Posts
Lots of bikes have no front fender, never looked real safe to me. But i doubt it would hurt the bike....unless whatever sheared the bolts broke something else. or those bolts hold something else........but i don't know anything so don't listen to me.

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, just an update. I remove the fender and it rides fine. Now I have to get a right angle drill and some easy outs to remove the studs that have broken off in the forks. Should be a pretty easy job, but I might have to take off the front wheel. It likes about a half of an inch being in the way. :rolleyes:

Jockeyshift

1 - 4 of 4 Posts