V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Thread Ender
3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever tried coating the tops of pistons and/or combustion chamber with any thermal spray such as ceramic? What about sodium filled valves? The idea being to reduce combustion chamber temperature.

·
Premium Member
3,288 Posts
Sodium fill in exhaust valves targets primarily high valve temperatures that may llead to valve failure due to valve tulip deformation. A little impact on chamber temperature could be construed.
Spray coating any surface inside the chamber with a material with lower heat conductivity than aluminum would increase temp and pressure and if managed right give you a few horsies more.

·
Thread Ender
3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My line of thinking was the coating would keep the heat in the exhaust gases, rather than transferring the heat to the cylinder head and piston. Therefore cooler combustion chamber. Cooler combustion chamber means cooler charge, which means more charge, which means more power. As a bonus, hotter exhaust gas, which means lower density exhaust gas, would be easier to get rid of.

No expert here. I guess if it was worth it we would all have done it already.:dunno:

·
Banned
4,508 Posts
Coatings

Pikeslayer said:
My line of thinking was the coating would keep the heat in the exhaust gases, rather than transferring the heat to the cylinder head and piston. Therefore cooler combustion chamber. Cooler combustion chamber means cooler charge, which means more charge, which means more power. As a bonus, hotter exhaust gas, which means lower density exhaust gas, would be easier to get rid of.

No expert here. I guess if it was worth it we would all have done it already.:dunno:
We have used Swain Technologies in the past for this.
They do a ton of this type of stuff for the Nascar folks.
We saw good gains as we used the thermal coatings, as well as the flow coatings before.
It works.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I had Dart Coatings (same guys that make Dart heads) put their thermal barrier coating on the tops of my pistons (Wiseco) when I did my 95" build. As far as I can tell this has allowed me to run much more ignition advance without any detonation (Im running the Zippers adj. ignition with initial set on 6 and advance curve set on 9 MAX). It is also suppose to keep heat from transfering into the piston. Im a believer ~!Awesome!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hillsidecycle.com said:
We have used Swain Technologies in the past for this.
They do a ton of this type of stuff for the Nascar folks.
We saw good gains as we used the thermal coatings, as well as the flow coatings before.
It works.
What all parts do you usually have them coat? I have been looking at their website and was thinking of coating only my pistons when I do my build this winter. Do you think it would be worthwhile to coat only the pistons without the heads and cylinders?

Thanks,
Gymply
'05 FXST
Stock 88" w/Rejet 190-48-2 1/2 out/Ness BS/V&H Pro Pipe
Soon to be 95" w/S&S 570G/Syke Performance Heads

·
Premium Member
880 Posts
Pikeslayer said:

I think you are right on !!!! I wished I would have done mine with a recent build :( I was in contact with Millenium Technolgies (spelling?) Oh and get the sides teflon coated also.

·
Banned
4,508 Posts
Coatings

gymply said:
What all parts do you usually have them coat? I have been looking at their website and was thinking of coating only my pistons when I do my build this winter. Do you think it would be worthwhile to coat only the pistons without the heads and cylinders?

Thanks,
Gymply
'05 FXST
Piston skirts, domes, chambers, ports, valve heads, intake manifold.
I can't speak for the gains with/without.
Scott

·
Thread Ender
3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is very interesting. Someone out there has had to have done before and after testing. Unfortunately, I bet only the guys who provide this service have done that. It would be nice to get unbiased test data.

I'm not sure if I would coat the skirts. What is the theory behind coating the skirts?

·
Thread Ender
3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Anyone know the cost to do this?

·
Banned
4,508 Posts
Coatings

We had done the same combination without, and there was about a 4/4 difference.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
we've done the coatings on the pistons for the race motors. oil shedding on the inside back of the piston, friction reducing on the skirts and heat barrier on the piston surface. We've tried two suppliers, one worked okay the other didn't and don't ask me who they were, I don't remember. ;)

I kind of don't see the point in a typical street motor though. Maybe an exceptional street motor but I don't think I'd waste my time or money on a typical build. I'd put the money on more practical things like Timken conversion or a good dyno tune.

·
Banned
4,508 Posts
Wants/Needs

Endurance is one of the reasons the Nascar people use this service, I believe.
More power with the thermal coatings, for the folks who want all the marbles.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I was also wondering if it would help eliminate carbon build up over the long term.

Gymply
'05 FXST

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts
I came across this site about micro blue a while ago.

Not a thermal barrier but a friction reducer. Which we all know reduces heat.

I have no other knowledge of this company other than their web site but it seams interesting.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
This is all very high tech but back in my day ...................... following any portwork the inside of the intake manifold and intake ports got glassbeaded. The piston tops, combustion chamber, and exhaust ports were polished to a mirror finish in an effort to accomplish the same thing.

I know it's an archaic method but even a backyard mechanic like me can do it inhouse.

Just my nonsensical ramblings ............

1 - 19 of 19 Posts