V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I'm still relatively new to the VTF and have been pleased with the help I have received so far.

I'm not new to riding; had a Yamaha Enduro 20 years ago and learned how NOT to ride. Later got a Yamaha 400 Thumper and learned how to ride on the street. Finally got wise, bought a REAL bike this past September. It's a 2000 883 XLH and it had only 1400 miles on it after 2 owners. So far, I've put 1700 miles on it and have enjoyed the ride, sound, and the general pleasure of owning a Harley-Davidson.

I'm already working on the 883 - 1200 conversion. I'm boring out a used set of 883 cylinders and will have them matched to 9.5:1 Wiseco pistons by the local Indy. After talking with the owner, he got me straight on getting XL heads and N4 cams so I'm now looking for those. Hopefully, by March or April I'll have the work done.

Thanks for the help you have given me. I hope to repay the favor.
Turn your head and Ride Safe.
Curt

·
Registered
15 Posts
Awll Right!!!

Hey Sportynube,
?prty: :welcome: Man, it's good to hear from you and welcome to VTF. I'm in the process right now on my conversion. I've got a 2005 XL 883 C that's going to 1200, too. Wiseco 10-1 pistons, light port and polish and 1200 valves with Andrews double springs in the heads, Andrews N4 cam (very popular cam), Crane H4 single fire ignition, Thunder header 2 into 1, some CV tricks done by Jeremy at Competition Motorcycles(doing the conversion for me). I'm getting custom paint and a seat from Bar Enterprizes, too, so it's a major deal. Any idea what h.p. you were putting out before and what you'll be getting after? :woohoo:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
crazyfrog,
Thanks for the welcome. I spoke with an Indy owner yesterday; the N4 cams are a hot set-up if matched to the heads. He mentioned sending the heads off for a "mild massage" to match the cams performance; I'm looking for a set of 1200 heads now to match the conversion.

Clymer's says stock 883 puts out 55 [email protected] rpm. I found an article on the internet and have pasted some of it here. Unfortunately, I can't credit the writer but, man, is it worth the read.

Quote:
These mods and tests were performed on a 1993 Hugger.

When you bore out an 883, you MUST replace the ignition module. Lots of
people are not doing this important step and lunching their cylinders by
overheating them with that lazy ignition advance curve on the stock 883
ignition module. Re-jetting the carburetor is also necessary, or you will
further overheat the engine due to the relatively lean mixture of the 883
needle, and main jet. The needle jet is the same for each machine (883, and
1200.)"

1. Ran it stock on the dyno
-- 23HP @ 3000RPM and 40HP @ 5500RPM

2. Added SE air cleaner and SE Slip-on mufflers ($150)
-- 25HP @ 3000RPM and 51HP @ 5500RPM

3. Bored it out to 1200cc using Wiseco pistons and stock heads,
replaced main jet with 170mm, opened idle mixture one turn,
raised jet needle 0.090 using washers ($600)
-- 43.5HP @ 3000RPM and 60HP @ 5500RPM

4. Replaced ignition and coil with SE parts ($150)
-- 48HP @ 3000RPM and 61.5HP @ 5500RPM

5. Added Yost Power Tube (Jet Kit, $80) and Keihan jet
needle ($15) from 1200 CV carb
-- 54HP @ 3000RPM and 64.5 @ 5500RPM

6. Added Polished SS Supertrapp 2:1 ($470)
-- 53HP @ 3000RPM and 67 @ 5500RPM

This weekend my Andrews N4 cam is due to finally arrive, and as soon as I
get that puppy installed and sorted out I will run it again on the dyno. My
hope is to get 74HP or 1HP/cubic inch
Unquote.

Sounds like 1 hp per cubic inch; Clymers says 1200 put out 71 lbs-ft torque and I would expect that, at least, as well.

Turn your head and ride safe.
Curt

·
fourty three and seven...
3,465 Posts
Hi Curt.

Welcome to the best dog gone forum on two wheels. We love your bike, our bikes and all bikes.

Ride that thang............ride

·
Registered
15 Posts
velocity

Sportynube,
Man, it's great to hear from you. Finally, someone that can carry on an intelligent conversation about the greatest bike out there. I really liked your upgrade ideas, but I got a question about the 1200 heads you want to use. If you go with ported 883 heads with 1200 old style valves you will increase port velosity and that means horsepower. You won't lose the compression you gained with high compression piston if you keep the 883 heads. Mine are at 59cc.s, and with the wiseco pistons I'm using that gives me a 10-1 compression ratio. If you use the poorer flowing 1200 heads, then with the larger chamber volume your compression ratio will go down and port velosity is lower with the 1200 heads. Use the older(2004 and earlier) 1200 valves as the 2005 and up are smaller in diameter and punch out the 2005 valve guides, replacing them with the older(2004 or earlier) guides. You will have to use dual valve springs(Andrews are good) with the new valve train.
Best to you and your conversion plans,
hope I gave you some ideas.
crazy frog:coffee:

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
:welcome: to the forum. Can't go wrong with a Sporty. I have a 1200S and it is a blast to ride. Post up often and enjoy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts