V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was doing my 1,000 mile service tonight on my '03 883R Sporty and figured I'd adjust the primary chain while I was at it.

I read in the owners manual:

Cold Adjustment: 3/8" - 1/2"

Hot Adjustment: 1/4" - 3/8"

Doesnt that seem ass backwards?? I would think that the hot adjustment would allow for expansion of the chain, I.E. looser specs, not tighter.

I set it at 3/8" hot since that is on both scales.

Any trains of thought on this matter??

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
No that is right. Think about it. If the chain stretches a little when it is hot, you don't want it adjusted to the tighter spec, because it would be overly tight when it cools and contracts.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats my point...the hot specs are TIGHTER than the cold specs...so when it cools it will be even tighter.

·
Registered
701 Posts
"The initial primary chain vertical free play specification used at the Harley-Davidson assembly plant is 1/4 in. to 1/2 in. (6.3-12.7 mm) with a cold engine. The 1/4 in. (6.3 mm) minimum is only allowed at the tightest point of the drive, as measured with specialized factory equipment. If a chain has less than 1/4 in. vertical free play (with a cold engine), adjust the free play to the "field" specification of 3/8 in. to 1/2 in. (9.5-12.7mm). The looser specification will avoid overtightening, which might otherwise occur during adjustment using "non-factory" equipment and methods." 1993 - 1994 XLH Service Manual, 6-3.

If the engine is hot and you adjust the chain to the specs of 3/8" to 1/2", you will have a VERY loose chain when the engine cools. This can cause the chain to jump around a lot and damage the internals inside the primary come completely off the sprockets, or possibly break. If you are lucky, it will just make noise and wear a lot faster than usual.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts