V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to buy my first harley. I finally have enough money and can afford something better than a cheapo *** bike. But I'm still limited in my budget since i'm in school. I'd look to get a softail or dyna glide but I've only got enough to get a used Sportster and then fix to my liking. The major thing I don't like about the Sporty is how high it sits. I want something more low slung. So I was thinking of getting a hardtail conversion which will drop it 4 inches in the back.
:cool:
But I've never rode a hardtail before, and I wanted to get some opinions on it. I don't want to be pissing blood after I ride 2 hours to the coast.

Also any advice on what to look for in a good used sporty would be appreciated.

·
Registered
297 Posts
My OM runs a hardtail panhead and he loves it, prefers that to the Heritage softail. The seat on the pan has big springs under it. To me it looks very comfy, but when I took it for a ride you could really tell that there were no shocks on the bike, I felt every bump. I think it may be worse for me because in order to reach the forward controls I really have to be sitting practically on the gas tank. It's your call but if your going to do long rides I'd want the comfort of shocks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts