V-Twin Forum banner

Sporty cuts out

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Zanthamos 
#1 ·
I have a problem and could use some advice. My '91 Sporty has started cutting out at odd times. The engine just quits cold, no sputtering just dies. I can be going 60 mph and it won't roll start.

The only way to get it going is to squeeze in the clutch and push the starter switch. It starts right up until the next time. I can't figure it out, maybe the kill switch is at fault? shorting or something?

#2 ·
Looks like you may want to look into that right hand control wiring, instead of a short it would be an open in the switch though, maybe switch wear. the headlights and all other lights still operate when the bike dies? Maybe with the hitting of the starter you wiggle the switch housing causing the kill switch to reconnect. The other thought is to try jiggling the kill switch next time it cuts out on you then try roll starting. This may demonstrate the problem. Depending on weather you have the Custom or another model with the standard headlight position the connector for the right and left hand controls may be located in the headlight housing so you may want to check there as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.