V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
'04 FXSTDI
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A guy a work has a cousin who has a 1980 Sporty Basket case. At some point or another the engine had some crank issues and he decided to take it to someone and they disassembled the bike and were planning on doing it up right when the main guy backed out. THis left him with a bike in baskets and no mechanical aptitude.
If everything is there, and given it has a known engine problem(he mentioned a broken crank), what would soething like this be worth?
Just looking for a ballpark figure or range.
I know the price would be dependent on inventory of parts and condition.
Jim

·
Ridin' & Glidin'
2,116 Posts
gunnut said:
A guy a work has a cousin who has a 1980 Sporty Basket case. At some point or another the engine had some crank issues and he decided to take it to someone and they disassembled the bike and were planning on doing it up right when the main guy backed out. THis left him with a bike in baskets and no mechanical aptitude.
If everything is there, and given it has a known engine problem(he mentioned a broken crank), what would soething like this be worth?
Just looking for a ballpark figure or range.
I know the price would be dependent on inventory of parts and condition.
Jim
Check the price of scrap aluminum before you go and no matter what -- do not drool over it. Act like you will do them a favor of hauling it off for them.
It could be great deal with little problems or it could be scrap aluminum.

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
stay away

stay away ................ far far away from this one.

Unless your either highly mechanical and ready to do everything yourself or you've got enought extra cash to pay a lot of cash to have it rebuilt your in a no win situation. In either case you'll easily have more into the bike than its worth. Parts could easlily eat up your cash faster than you can immagine.

Cycle Trader shows a few in the $ 3,000 to $ 6,000 range. But that can be deceptive.

If you just got to have it: from your description I'd say $ 500 max with a clean tittle. No tittle no deal.

Made the same mistake when I bougth my 83 shovel. Now a whole lot of cash latter and All I can say is would I do it again :nope:

H

·
0 Posts
@gree:

I had an '83 XLX. If someone has disassembled it, they've done half the work. the rest is throwing the pieces into a lake.

Not quite, but those pre-evo Sportys can break your heart.

Harris

·
Registered
404 Posts
Have you ever ridden or worked on an Ironhead? If not, be prepared for true old-school tech. I bought my 75' sporty for 600 bucks, completly dissasembled with a bad bottom end.

I rebuilt the entire chassis and wored it on my own, cost me 1500 for an Indi to rebuild the engine and refresh the trans.

It will cost you at least that today to get the motor built, but if you want it, you want it. The drawbacks I see to the '80 model are that it had the newer style frame that was much smaller and shorter than the older 70's frames.
Body parts, like rear fenders, seats, larger gas tanks, etc, are also harder to get for that model year.

Either way, the engine is solid mount, with a 4 speed and will vibrate you off the seat on a long highway ride. They are really best for around town riding, bar to bar blasting, etc. While I loved mine at the time, that was 15 yrs ago. I was a lot yournger and could take a lot more punishement on a long ride than I can today. Your call.

One last comment, If you can get it for cheap and the wheels, brakes, tank and forks are good... Santee, Jammer and a few others make kick-ass rigid frames for the old iron heads that don't cost a lot. You could rebuild the engine and take the rest of the parts and bolt it all into a longer, low slung rigid and have an awesome old school bar-to-bar bike.

·
Legend in my own mind
157 Posts
Let's get the obvious out of the way: The Ironhead is a bike only a mother can love ... a mother F*#ker. I'm one, but they are definitely not for everyone. If you don't know anything about an Ironhead, a basket case is a poor place to start. The '79 through '81 bikes were sort of transitional years and some parts are hard to come by; keep this in mind as well. Some parts are the same but some are truly unobtanium.

Value-wise, it depends on what part of the country you are in. An Ironhead with a clear title, no blown cases, straight frame, and matching numbers, sight unseen, can draw $2500 easily in the northeast and parts of the midwest. In California I have seen completely original, low mileage barn beauties go for under $3K.

I live in Kansas City. If I were to go look at one and it was not blown out, had matching numbers, and a truly clean title, I *might* go as high as $1K *if it was complete. Your mileage, of course, may vary.

·
Legend in my own mind
157 Posts
Oh hell you are in KC. :laugh: I didn't even look at who it was.

If you really think you are wanting an Ironhead, I'd be happy to look with you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts