V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
guys,
what can you say about sportsters?what model is the best in terms of speed and reliability..you see, this is the bike that i can afford cause bikes here in manila come very expensive and i'd be selling my other bike to get at least a "pure" harley instead.
ty....

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
The 1200 Sport is the hot set-up. Hotter cams, dual plug heads, tunable suspension front and rear all come stock. These little rascals really cook right out of the box! I'd second guess a stop-light brawl against one with my hot-rod FXDX. They'll whip the arse off any stock big-block!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
how about the vibration?i'm eyeing on a 2000 model sporters sport...thx

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
rouel74 said:
guys,
what can you say about sportsters?what model is the best in terms of speed and reliability..you see, this is the bike that i can afford cause bikes here in manila come very expensive and i'd be selling my other bike to get at least a "pure" harley instead.
ty....

I disagree.
A FXDX will out run a XL1200S stock for stock. Its such a slight margin that after both bikes do a stage one the Sporty may then lead do to the fact its lighter and a stage one gives its as much gain in HP as a BT stage one gain.

For the $ its hard to beat a XL883. Get a striped one for msrp then add to it what you want. 883-1200 conversion is very easy and most guys can do it them self.
As for performance only the XL1200S is up to the task right out of the box, but if you cant get good gas the highter CR could hurt you.

All Sportys vibe and the 1200's are a little less.

·
Registered
679 Posts
rouel74 said:
guys,
what can you say about sportsters? what model is the best in terms of speed and reliability..you see, this is the bike that i can afford cause bikes here in manila come very expensive and i'd be selling my other bike to get at least a "pure" harley instead.
ty....
For me, personally, I am going to get either a 883 XLH base model or the 883 Hugger. I prefer the front fork of the 883 and like the bucks and lower back end of the Hugger.

Either way, I can set it the way I like it.

I also see the 883 as a fresh canvas to work on.

Sportsters can really be anything you want them to be. A cafe racer or coast-to-coast tourer, the choice is yours. You can chop it out too.

Below is one of the things I want to do. It's a bolt-on chop with no frame alterations. It's a kit and is done by SeegerCycle (no affiliation)

As for vibes, there are many products that will calm some of the vibrations. A new seat, good grips, the Bar Snake, nickels (buck shot) in the bars. There are also some more expensive ways too that have varied results. Bottom line is, if you feel the need to tame the Sportster, you can.

With the money you save over the 1200 Custom (about $4000), you can do TONS of mods yourself. I also suggest you do the wrenching yourself. I'm no mechanic, but between here and other sites, they will give you step-by-step instructions on how to do it. Not only will you save big bucks, you will learn a lot more about your bike. You will also probably do a better job yourself than others might.

The 883 is the best bargain in the Harley lineup.

I have learned so much from this site and www.sportster.org that I would not have otherwise have known. I suggest you look over both and get some ideas.

What ever you decide, you will probably be happy. Let us know.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
You can make it what you want but a cafe' racer means last place every time...

BT owners would say the FLHT is the most bang for the buck in the Harley line up.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Kags said:
You can make it what you want but a cafe' racer means last place every time...

BT owners would say the FLHT is the most bang for the buck in the Harley line up.
Hey Kags,

I'd go with the Dyna Super Glide if I had to pick a stripped BT. It is $2500 less and weighs 100 lbs less.

That 100 lbs goes a long way when you are pulling a 650 odd pound bike.

With the $2500, I could add the bits and pieces I want.

Plus, I'm not old enough for the FLHT yet. LOL

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ross,
that's more like it...man that sporty in your post is damn hot!!!

·
Registered
679 Posts
rouel74 said:
ross,
that's more like it...man that sporty in your post is damn hot!!!
IMHO, I think it is one of the best looking Sportsters around. Changes the whole look of the bike. Makes it look less squatty and gives it a meaner look.

It's also a relatively inexpensive mod at about $1.500 USD. You have to do it yourself though. Well, I guess you could have an indy do it, but that would surely triple the cost. There is fairly detailed instruction guide on www.Choppersrule.com. It looks to be about an 8 hour job. That means it would take me about 20 hours. LoL

From what I have also heard, it rides great.

I will say, it is unique, and if you ever needed to return the bike to stock, you could.

It is certainly on my 'must do' mods list.

See what saving a little cash over the 1200 Custom can get you? You would still have enough for Stage 1 and a 1200 conversion. With change to spare.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts