V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any possibility that HD will put the new Buell XB9 engine in the Sportster? The old Buells used the Sportster based 1200, think it might go the other way now? Maybe use it to replace the 883 or 1200, or maybe as an additional option?

I thought about this idea a while ago, and then I heard a rumor.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
nickp said:
Hey Sidewalk, I heard some chatter today about Erik Buell not wanting
that to happen.. Who knows if that means anything, but it came from a
couple parts guys at HD! nickp.
If that is true, that is probably a good thing. No offense to HD, but I believe that Buell needs to break away from them and go on thier own course. I believe HD is holding him back from building a far better machine.

All still very interesting though.

·
Registered
22,089 Posts
I've never had the privilege of riding the XB9. I'm wondering if the addition of the Buell engine would significantly increase the cost of the bike.

Particularly in case of 883 there must be some pressure to keep the cost of the bike down to offer a starter bike at a "fairly" competitive cost.

I really don't understand the philosophy of continuing to produce a non-balanced/ rubber mounted sportster. With the assumed death of the carb around the corner, it would seem the sportster is going to be in for some changes anyway.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I road one twice, and the biggest thing to me that most inpressed me was its lack of power. If Erik wants to break away he wont do it with that motor. As for the handling it was world class sportsbike.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Maybe they will let him have the Revolution, build it into a sportbike. That could end up being intresting.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am hoping for the V-Rod engine, but I doubt that will happen.

·
Registered
312 Posts
i bet within the next 5 years or so, H-D will make a sportbike. I think the Vrod is just to ease the rest of us into seeing them as sportbike maker. That bike is dilberate cross of a crusier and a sportbike. I just wonder what they will do with the prices. Not sure H-D can build a sportbike worth 7-10k more then everyone else.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Knowing HD, they will try to rack up the prices. We'll see how it goes. It is going to be a hard sell. Sport bike riders don't even like Buell, not to mention thier feeling for HD.

Then again, most sport bike riders would rather have an Acura to drive in the off season, instead of ride, or drive American.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Smokey said:
Well Honda does make a damn good, reliable, dependable product whether it is cars or motorcycles!

*ducks and runs*
Maybe true, but that is not a good enough reason for me to drop my Bronco.

Then again, people's opinions on reliable sem to very. I feel that everything I own so far has been reliable, only two of which were foreign, a 72 and a 59 VW Bug.

·
Registered
14,069 Posts
The buy American thing could be a whole new topic. I'm pretty sure all Japan model cars are made here in the good ol USA by American workers so "our' people do benefit still. And I believe Japans factories produce American cars over there.

I think we should buy whatever we want. If the Honda makes a better product for less money and someone chooses to buy it good for them. I don't own any Honda products. I have owned 2 Honda motorcycles in the past, 1 Kawasaki, and 1 Yamaha and in my opinion they were all better quality than my HD is.

I used to own a 1975 Yamaha RD350 and that would easily blow away a HD Sporster 1200 and I'd almost bet it would blow away a HD V-Rod, if it couldn't I'd bet it would give it one hell of a race.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yep, it is a whole new topic.

Wishful thinking on my part I guess.

·
Registered
14,069 Posts
Sidewalk what is an honest opinion of yours on the Buells? I hate my Sporster and have been thinking of trading in on a crotch rocket. My dealer is having some open house in a couple of weeks and allowing test rides on the Firebolt and something else. I think that is what they call it but not sure.

Have you any experience on rice bikes to compare with?

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No, no experience to compare to. For a graphic opinion on Buell, check out the forums at www.sacborg.com It is a Buell related site, they will give you the straight up opinion.

Now, for mine. I love my X1. It has that mean low end torque that just lurches you when down that the low end. I handles excellently, has not caused me any trouble yet, and really turns heads. I went down on it recently and was really worried about the cost to get it back to the way it was. I was concerned because it is an HD backed product. I came to find out that the parts are cheap. Examples:
Turn signals - $7
Dash - $20
Brake light assembly - $15

All totalled out, it is going to cost me between $600-$800 to get it back to shape. Mind you that I have a limited edition, so the parts cost more, and have to be ordered from the factory (using my VIN for proof).

The Firebolt is the only new Buell in the line right now. There are still a few older bikes still on the floor, Lightening, Cyclone, Thunderbolt. The Blast is still out there, but you certianly don't want that. The new Lightening is due out in November.

My suggestion, take the Firebolt for a ride and think about it. Then, get on a similar bike (Ducati Monster maybe) and think about it. Then get on some rice. See what makes you happy. I wouldn't be happy on the faster Hayabusa, or a Ninja, or a Gixxer. They may all be faster, but I wouldn't be happy. When it comes time to get rid of my X for any reason (wreck maybe), I will be hard pressed not to buy another Buell. Hopefully by then, it will have the power I want from it.

The racing Firebolt puts out about 160 HP to the ground. There is no reason why that can't be done.

I have ridded with a couple of guys that ride SV 650's. I don't really like the looks, but I am impressed with the bike. Check that out too.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Smokey said:
I used to own a 1975 Yamaha RD350 and that would easily blow away a HD Sporster 1200 and I'd almost bet it would blow away a HD V-Rod, if it couldn't I'd bet it would give it one hell of a race. [/B]
The stock RD 350 only ran in the very low 13's a far cry from the stock 11.53 time for a V-Rod.

·
Registered
14,069 Posts
Still not bad Kags considering technology from almost 3 decades ago and an engine almost 1/3 the size. Factor in a skilled rider on the RD350 and an inexperienced one on the V-Rod and I'd bet the Yamaha would still make a serious statement. :cool:

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
FYI, there is a member here that rides a Duece that tried one out recently. If he wants to step forward, you can get his perspective. Mine is a little unfair since I don't ride a cruiser type bike.

I want to see what my '72 Suzuki GT 380 can do when I get the time/money to get it on the road. 2 stroke triple outa to turn a few heads.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts