V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I know I'm going to be roasted for posting this but ... why is the 'sportster' the butt of so many jokes especially amongst the big V HD fraternity? It's a HD after all, it's been around for many years... largely unchanged too, it has it's own motorsport heritage, it's one of the longest running motorcycle designs of any brand which makes it hugely successful. And imo ... it's a properly good looking bike. I just don't get it, I suppose the 883 could be type cast as a starter HD or a girls bike due to it's size but the 1200 gets almost as much flak!
Can anyone enlighten me. ?

·
Registered
1. 03 Big Dog~Pit Bull 3. American Iron Horse~LSC 1. 93 Heritage Softail 3 wheel conversion Yrike
19 Posts
Back in the early 70s we would kid with the guys who owned Sportsters. The guys with big V~Twin would say. " I own a Hog, someday maybe that little piglet, will grow up". All in fun

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I owned 2 iron heads, a 78 and an 84,, rode the 84 for 13 years, I got my fatboy in '09. About 2 years ago a buddy picked up a '04 sport for cheap to flip, we rode it around for a few weeks, I couldn't get over how small it seemed and how much it vibrated. Yes it was light and nimble, but the BT are so much more comfortable.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Back in the early 70s we would kid with the guys who owned Sportsters. The guys with big V~Twin would say. " I own a Hog, someday maybe that little piglet, will grow up". All in fun
In the 80's and 90's mine would be called piglet and minibike, all in good fun, people weren't so sensitive as today, need a shrink on speed-dial.

·
Registered
17,942 Posts
Most guys that have ridden the 883 & the 1200 will tell you the 1200 vibrates less at cruise speeds. It's the gearing. The 1200 cruises at a lower rpm.
They'll also tell you the 883 doesn't have enough power to get out of it's own way.

·
Super Moderator
22,401 Posts
I don't see your comment helping anything either so I guess we're even
My comment does not have to add anything. And we are not even, not by any definition of the word. I asked you a question. But never mind, I took care of it.

Before you mouth off again, you had better be aware of who you are talking too.

I would also advise you to read the rules: Forum Rules and Frequently Asked Questions

You have already violated two of them in just this thread.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts