V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my sporty it had been a while since my first sporty (20 years). Needless to say I am not as young as I used to be. After a long ride yesterday may ass was sore, this morning my back is killing me. I am thinking about paying the sporty off and picking up a roadking or electra glide. My bud had a electra glide and the seat on it is so soft :D Do the big hogs really ride that much softer? I want to keep my sporty and have the big bike also, but who knows what will happen.....................

·
Registered
127 Posts
Sportsters can be comfy too

Howdy, of course getting a bigger bike is your decision, and I will probably make the same one day (I want a Low Rider), but should you decide you want to make the Sportster more comfortable I might be of some help.

I have about 13k on my Sportster now, 4300 of it I did on a trip last year in 14 days. I was completely comfortable the whole time. I got about as tired after each day's riding as I would if I were in a car or train or plane. (Hey, travelling makes you tired no matter how you're doing it). :)

Anyway, modifications that I made to make it more comfortable.... first and foremost - the seat. I went through a couple seats before I found the one that worked. It's a Mustang seat with driver's backrest. This saved my rear end and my lower back (which I had a lot of problems with).

Also the windshield helps a lot. If you are going over 60 mph you may notice that you have to hold on to the bars very tightly for dear life. With even a small windsheild (I have the Harley sport windshield) travelling at 60+ feels like you're going 45.

Last but not least, the footpegs. I have 5 different places I can move my feet while riding so that I can stretch out my legs and such. I have an engine guard and I can put my feet/legs on top of it, on the highway pegs I installed on there, on the regular forward control footpegs, on the regular pegs in the standard position that I installed, or on the passenger pegs towards the rear of the bike. I mostly go between the forward controls and the standard position pegs while riding for a long period, and once in a while I stick my legs (one at a time) up on the top of the engine guard to stretch them out.

That's all I can think of for now. I can give more information such as part numbers and instructions on how I did some of this stuff if you are interested.

Also, here is a picture of the bike now:

Good Luck!

·
Registered
684 Posts
Hey Misguided, if she'd let me, I'd have more than one bike. I've got the FLHT and must admit that I'd really like to have a pearl bronze RK. The only thing holding me back is money! Minor detail, I know!

The Electraglide is a great bike for touring or just putting around town. The trip I took to Wichita last month was great, but only because the stock seat was so comfortable. As for back pains, I went to Ebay and found a rider's backrest. It helps a lot.

In my opinion, you've got a great looking Sportster. If possible, I'd keep it just for those times when you need a change.

Go buy yerself a King!

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
Misguided,

My new road king came with a low-profile aligator seat, looks nice but kills my ass after an hour or so.

I ordered a Mustang Royal Duke yesterday, should be here tomorrow. I'm planning on riding all weekend so I'll report back.

wyodude

·
Registered
381 Posts
Sporty is giving you some excellent advice for comfort. The Mustang (even with-out the backrest) is a very good seat for travelling. The shield does cut back on the wind and the foot placement with pegs is important. Also if the buzziness in the bars is a problem with fatigue there are a few products on the market to help end that problem also.

Now if you just want the bigger bike because (like me) you WANT IT, and also want to keep the Sportster, then by all means at your disposal try to do it.:D

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
appreciate the feedback!

Sporty Kid ya got a nice looking scoot. You need to post a pick in the sportster general forum under the sticky of members sporty's :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts