V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a 2000 Sportster 1200 as my first bike. It has been sitting about a year so I decided to replace all of the jets, gaskets, o rings in the carb with OEM from HD. Also installed a new air cleaner as the original was missing, (unfortunately I couldn’t go OEM on this part as HD told me it was obsolete. So I went with their recommendation.)

hooked everything back up and now it’s coughing through the carburetor. Initially it will run fine but once it warms up (or has been running some throughout the day) is when the coughing starts.

I appreciate any suggestions and recommendations, like I said it’s my first bike and I am eager to get it road ready. I do have a video if it I can upload it I will.

·
Registered
17,482 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,256 Posts
Thank You Adrian252 for editing your Avatar.Welcome to the forum.

You can also do an intro here.....My Story, the Beginning...

Sounds like you may have a pilot jet problem.Did you change that and is it the same size as the one that came out?
When warmed up does it run better with the enricher pulled out some?

Hopefully someone here can help you get it sorted out if you don't.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank You Adrian252 for editing your Avatar.Welcome to the forum.

You can also do an intro here.....My Story, the Beginning...

Sounds like you may have a pilot jet problem.Did you change that and is it the same size as the one that came out?
When warmed up does it run better with the enricher pulled out some?

Hopefully someone here can help you get it sorted out if you don't.
All the parts I changed, where original replacement. Once it warms up is when the problem really begins

·
Registered
9,330 Posts
Many times the internal passages in the carb body are clogged,,, changing the jets has no effect.. the residue from dried fuel is almost as hard as concrete,,, compressed air and carb cleaner will not move it,,, a torch tip cleaner or,, if you have a gently wire gauge drills from size 60-80 are the ticket,,, the passage is usually between .015-.017 diameter

·
Super Moderator
3,256 Posts
In addition to what tall terry posted.....Is your fuel fresh? Is the fuel tank rust free? Does fuel flow freely through the petcock?
It could be one or the sum of any of these items mentioned.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just picked up a 2000 Sportster 1200 as my first bike. It has been sitting about a year so I decided to replace all of the jets, gaskets, o rings in the carb with OEM from HD. Also installed a new air cleaner as the original was missing, (unfortunately I couldn’t go OEM on this part as HD told me it was obsolete. So I went with their recommendation.)

hooked everything back up and now it’s coughing through the carburetor. Initially it will run fine but once it warms up (or has been running some throughout the day) is when the coughing starts.

I appreciate any suggestions and recommendations, like I said it’s my first bike and I am eager to get it road ready. I do have a video if it I can upload it I will.
I would check the carb again to make sure you installed the parts correctly, it sounds like its running rich , but first check your spark plugs to see if they are black. If so then go to the carb.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Also one that gets some going nuts trying to find. Does yours have a vacuum shutoff on tank valve. Check for good vacuum, flow and cracks in vacuum hose to carb.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts