V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

New member and going to be a new Harley owner soon.

I have a question. I am trying to decide which way to go.

Any input I can get from everyone would be great on the pros and cons of the sportster and the dyna line.

The wife likes the sportster better, and they usually say when momma is happy everyone is happy, but she does not want to ride it by herself she just wants to be a passenger.

thank you in advance
Matt

·
Registered
116 Posts
2 different machines.
For you, Id suggest a dyna.
If she was going to ride on here own...Id suggest a dyna
If shes only going on the back....Id definitley suggest a dyna.
It's a big investment..once you ride a Superglide or a Lowrider etc,etc, you'll not want to but a sportster.
MY opinion.

·
Registered
297 Posts
csoday said:
Ain't that much difference between them, is there?
:265:
Hey Chuck, the suspension on the Dyna seems to be a lot more forgiving. I'm having to take my girlfriend's word for this, but she certainly prefers the Dyna to Sportster, but a Road King really makes her eyes light up! She never looks at me like that anymore!...Bill

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Could get an old hard mounted sportster... then momma will be happy, but for different reasons ;)

j/k actually I vote Dyna too. More room between driver and sissy bar for passenger. Plus I think the sundowner seat for the dyna is way nicer than anything I could ever have found for the Sportster.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Far and away the Dyna if a passanger is the plan.
More low end grunt and a longer wheelbase with a smoother ride.
Having owned and ridden XL,FX and FLH models the FX is the best compromise.
The Sporty is nimble and fast but not really a good two up machine.
The Electraglides (including RK's and RG's) are no doubt the best two up machines with the highest level of comfort but a bit much perhaps for an entry level rider wanting a cruiser bike.
Y2K:coffee:

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
If your looking for a daily commuter, the Sportster would do fine. If you are looking for a comfy cruiser that you want to keep riding rather than looking for a place to get off, stretch, and fill up with gas, go Dyna.

·
Registered
217 Posts
No contest. The Dyna is more fun to ride, better looking (JMHO) and will hold more value when you decide to move up to a softtail or FL. Thw Dyna sits lowewr and handles a lot better to me.

·
Life is short pray hard!
131 Posts
Dyna All The Way!! No comparison in my book. Mama will be much happlier on the Dyna. Plus I think the Sportsters are ugly:puke:

Just my opinion!

·
Ironbutt
7,412 Posts
She probably likes the sporty cuz it's cheaper. Put her on the back of each one for a day then ask her which one she likes.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Dyna, no question. Small trips are great on the Sportster, but that extra power on the Dyna makes life nicer when riding two up. Lower CG makes the Dyna easier to ride and in my opinion, a smoother ride.

When I bought an Ultra, I "gave" my wife my Dyna (I still ride it every so often). She had a Sportster (She started riding last year). She loves it. Doesn't want anything to do with the Sportster anymore.

·
ORIGINAL DOOF BABE
3,954 Posts
I'd go with the Dyna if you're going to have a passenger. I'd probably go with the Dyna even if you didn't have a passenger - just a bit more flexibility I think on what you can comfortably do (and don't any of you Sportster people go getting your hackles up - I rode one for 9 years). :D

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Look at my avatar...
05 Dyna FXDi, with the wife on the back (about 75% of the time).

Fairly comfortable. When we (I) were looking at bikes, we (I) first thought about the sportster 1200 custom. Then I had the wife join me on the back of the 1200 custom...she slipped off the back of the bike on the showroom floor onto her dupa :roflback: (I swear I didn't laugh at her).

That pretty much left me with the Dyna line...I couldn't afford anything else at the time...so I thought. Since Nov of 2004, I've added a sundowner seat, back rest, luggage rack, adjustable pegs for her, highway pegs for me, windshield, a T-Bag (for touring), a Tach and a bunch of chrome. When she's not riding with me, the backrest goes away, the passenger pegs get folded up, and away I go. I'm looking forward to riding this spring with my new AC, pipes and SERT. It was lacking a bit in "highway passing" power with the two of us and a full t-bag.

Dyna's a good starting point, but I'm already thinking about a road king or an electra glide, since we do so much time riding together.

Whichever one you end up with, you're guaranteed to smile.

Oh and by the way, I just noticed this is your first post...
:welcome:

·
Registered
248 Posts
sporty vs. dyna

well, like many of us here maybe, I've had both a sportster and a dyna.

started on the sporty low, then went to a lowrider. (I'm kinda short, actually my nickname in the mines was "lowpockets") {both ;05s}

JMHO, but for me the dyna is a LOT different than the sportster I had.
On the highway no comparison (I did have an 883 though...), torque better, a little less nimble and quick but more "grunt"

I liked my sporty, but I LOVE my FXDL

...anyway, everybody knows sportster are girly bikes:sofa:

ace57
'05 FXDL "molly"

1 - 20 of 60 Posts