V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2002 883 custom and i want to get rid of my hamcan air cleaner and put a round one on. i'm rejetting (dynojet kit)so i need something that moves a fair amount of air. what do i need.is there any way to use the screaming eagle air filter kit for a big twin. or should i go aftermarket. any thots would be appreciated. thanx

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
air cleaner

changing the pipes and air cleaner is pointless without changing your jets. If you change to a hi flo air cleaner and better flowing pipes, your bike won't run right without changing the jets. It will run way too lean. If you have more air, you need more fuel, so yes it's necessary.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks - I understand that, but can't you get away with increasing jet size without spending loads a wedge on Dynojet?

·
Registered
381 Posts
The ham can with a SE air filter kit (K&N) moves a massive volume of air through the CV. Why would you want a smaller filter/smaller air cleaner=less volume set-up. Stay with the proven commodity. Works great on my 1200 with only a few dollars invested. $75 for the filter and about $20 for the CV mods. Spent some on the VH pipes and ended with a whole lot better ride.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ham can

i know the se air cleaner is the best, but i just can't bring myself to like those horrible looking air cleaners. i'm looking at a se kit from the 1340 and adapting it to my bike.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hello
I have a 883C 2000 with a SE air cleaner and i am very happy but there are a lilte problem...When i ride at a higer speed i lose fuel by the air cleaner?Please help me...this is normal or not?

p.s.-Sorry my bad English

·
Registered
381 Posts
Rusky, sounds like you did not re-jet the carb. The hi speed jet is probably all wrong, the floats could be sticking.

·
Registered
14,069 Posts
Rusky said:
Hello
I have a 883C 2000 with a SE air cleaner and i am very happy but there are a lilte problem...When i ride at a higer speed i lose fuel by the air cleaner?Please help me...this is normal or not?

p.s.-Sorry my bad English
Rusky are you sure it is fuel and not oil? If it is oil it is normal. From what I have read some bikes do it and some don't. There is a fix for it but I haven't tried to fix it yet. I have an 883C 2002 and mine does leak oil from the air cleaner. It barely leaks so I don't worry about it.

Here is a link to a cool site that explains basically what I said. The Sportster Home Page

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hacksaw
I hear the SE air cleaner outfit probably provides the best air flow for the sporty. The smaller round ones might not give you the best performance but your satisfaction with the looks of your ride may be just as important. Its a tradeoff. Go with whats most important to you.
Bruce

·
Registered
193 Posts
Hacksaw,
Zippers has a high-flow round air filter that requires the round Evo air cleaner cover, and according to their website all that will work on a Sportster. Or, talk to your stealer and see if the round SE setup for the Evo will work. (Looks like a similar set up.) Zippers kit does not supply the air cleaner cover. More info at
http://www.zippersperformance.com/catalogue/showproduct.asp?cat=572&prod=1965

·
Registered
36 Posts
If one uses simply rejetting instead of the dynojet complete kit, there may be strong gas odor from cleaner after blipping WOT as I experienced. I then put in the complete dynojet kit (not at all difficult, folks) and now have a very happy, content, gas odor free bike with no carb farts even during high RPM downshifting. Manners during throttle input changes are very smoooooth. Just my experience. Of course, I have learned through the years that it is usually better to go with a product purposely made for a definate objective than trying to 'make do' with bastard parts. YMMV.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just a warning about Forwinder: You will need to buy a catch can and some hose to route the breathers that used to go into the stock air cleaner. Also, the new design does not allow for proper venting of the float bowl breather. Some grinding is needed. Otherwise your bike will run very lean on the top end because of the ramcharger effect. It creates negative pressure in the float bowl and not enough fuel gets where it needs to be. Not good.

If you don't like the SE hamcan, try S&S.

·
Registered
875 Posts
SportHog said:
Just a warning about Forwinder: You will need to buy a catch can and some hose to route the breathers that used to go into the stock air cleaner. Also, the new design does not allow for proper venting of the float bowl breather. Some grinding is needed.
Expand on this statement? I dont understand?

I was thinking about the forcewinder with a S&S carb, will the float bowl breather still be a issue?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm not familiar with the S&S carb, so I can't say for sure. The problem exists with the stock CV unit. When you remove the air cleaner and look into the carb, on the left side is a little vent for the float bowl. On the newer Forcewinders there is a little notch cut out so the vent can get air. (I'm taking pictures now. I'll post later today.) Unfortunately it's no where near big enough. Older Forcewinders had a large section of the inside of the pipe machined away, allowing the vent to breathe properly. What I did was take my Dremmel and hone out the Forcewinder in the area of the float vent. This helped, but it still runs a little lean around 5,500rpm and up. I'd check with Forcewinder to see if their product will fit the S&S carb and if there are any issues with the float vent.

The stock Sportster carb has a ton of power potential for very little $$. Any other carb I've tried kills low end torque in exchange for top end HP. I run the same stock carb on my 2000 Buell (1203 Sportster engine) and have had better results than bigger more expensive carbs. If you plan to go with the S&S, consider a hotter cam to take advantage of the bigger carb.

·
Registered
875 Posts
if you had it pointed up instead of towards the front of the scoot you may not have the lean problem????

·
Registered
4 Posts
I suppose that would do it. But then you defeat the ram-air effect and any subsiquent power gains. Would the mounting holes line up?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts