V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey

I'm concidering to buy a sportster and sell my FXST. I'm mostly interested in custom sportys. I would like to have a few opinions from sporty owners. Should I look for "older" evo (2003 and older) or new evo (2004->)? How big were the changes? Newer ones are of course more expensive but do I get bang for the buck by buing a newer evo sporty? Should I look for 883/1200 conversion or stock 1200? Bike is gonna be mostly for the every day ridin', not that much for longer touring.

Thanks!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dflanagan01 said:
For the $$$ I went with a new “05” as any of the older were around the same $$$.
Yeah naturally. Older just tend to be bit cheaper. Annd I kinda like older peanut tank in a custom sporty...

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
I also like the older peanut tank, but they've made improvements to the 1200 motor in addition to it being rubber mounted also 883 is. I looked up what they changed, high compression, high flow heads and performance cams. I had a 2002 1200 before my heritage and now my wife has a 2005 1200c sporty, and I'll tell you from personal experience the new motor really is more powerfull. It also doesn't have that vibration into your arms and hands like the older ones did. the 2002 I had would get the oil through the air cleaner problem when riden hard that the older models would do, the newer one doesn't do that they've fixed that problem. I hope this info helps you.
Ben Breece had some 2005 sportsters left when I was last there discounted. give them a ring, it's a good time to buy. they sell at msrp, free freight and set up. 419-523-4274

·
Registered
185 Posts
just curious, do you plan long riding with sporty? I had a 2001 but then I traded for the Dyna and differece in confort was great. But obviously new rubber mounted sporty are much nearer to the fxd. And to me the sporty remain the essence of the motorbike.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Do you plan on keeping it stock or customizing it? The '99-'03 have obviously been around longer and as such have many more aftermarket options available.

And an '05 should not be slightly more. If it is, the < '03 seller is asking too much.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I also would point out that untill 2003 trannt was separaated from engine, maintenance was a charm: After 2004 they are parts of the whol motor. may be there is an isue also with valves and oil consumption, after 2004

·
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
551 Posts
I've got an '04 1200R and it has a lot of improvements over my older one. Of course that was a '74 XLCH...

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
2005 1200c not a problem with oil consumption as mentioned. I'm not sure if some that's from someones personal experience or just rumor.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
brownjams said:
Ben Breece had some 2005 sportsters left when I was last there discounted. give them a ring, it's a good time to buy. they sell at msrp, free freight and set up. 419-523-4274
Thanks for the tip, but I think that free freight doesn't include Finland. :)
Or actually Kabul,Afganistan. That's where I'm right now.

But thanks for the replys, I think it'll clear out when I test ride both older and newer versions and see myself how much they vibrate and how big is the power/torque difference. My 2003 TC88B FXST is quite smooth and sometimes I wish it would vibrate a bit more just to get a feeling on raw power. It's true that it's easier to get parts for older evos.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Not a rumor

brownjams said:
2005 1200c not a problem with oil consumption as mentioned. I'm not sure if some that's from someones personal experience or just rumor.
There is a 'Tech bulletin' concerning the run of bad valve seals the MoCo installed in some '04's and '05's. HarleyHogs site has it posted.
Over a the XL forum a member just had his valve seals replaced on his '05 1200. Sez it wuz using oil at a ridicolous rate. My '05 XL1200C uses a quart of Syn 3 every 2,500 miles. There are other members over there that are complaining about excessive oil usage. That being said: The rubber-mounts do have high compression heads, improved oil flow and more stock HP. I love mine....great bar hopper and can't be beat for cruising around town cuz the XL1200C doesn't cook my nads like my TC 88 does. Plus it's easy to handle cuz it doesn't weigh 1/2 ton like my EG. And one more thang:
It's a fast lil mo'dicker. And one more thang after that: No oil in the air cleaner from blow-by. 10,500 US miles and not a drop yet.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The rubber mount on the 04+ sportsters makes a massive difference to the comfort of the ride. I'd go for a rubber mount model without a doubt. If you prefer the peanut tank (as I did) to the 'custom' version, simply get a standard bike with the forwards fitted. If you go for an 883-1200 conversion you can simply add a slightly bigger sprocket on the front to get the same gearing as a standard 1200, or stick with the lower gearing of the 883 for increased acceleration.

I went through the same process as you and bought a brand new 883 with forwards fitted as standard. Complete with a 1200 upgrade I've got a 1200r with forwards fitted for the same cost as a standard 883 (haggle with the dealer just before xmas!)

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'd just add a comment, think twice, three times on that swap. Unless its just have to, and pure economics. Unless your riding conditions are not for the FXST. Don't!

I don't want to offend anyone but...:sofa:

Thinking I could save a lot on insurance, and license the FXST was crazy high in this state, and have a few dollars left over. I sold my FXST and I bought a new '04 XLC. The differences are significant, and the first ride home from the dealer with the new bike told all. The engine and transmission are not nearly as responsive and pleasing as the TC88. (I know the 1200 is faster but I'm putting it from a riding perspective.) I did save a lot of money though.

They are just different, and the FXST has a refinement and feel the Sportster won't touch. Obviously there's a lot of difference that much more money buys.

Still I think the new Sportster is an outstanding bike, just not a big twin.

·
Registered
1 Posts
1200 custom

I upgraded and bought a 2004 1200 Custom Sporty and love it EXCEPT the fact that I have had a constant oil leak from the rear rocker box cover that no one can seem to fix. HD Milwaukee states that during the chroming process the covers became warped and therefore now leak. They are STILL working on the problem. the 2 fixes that they thought would work have not. So....buyer beware. Other than that, I love the bike's style and the way it handles. I ride my to work whenever possible and it is very comfortable and smooth. Hope this sheds some light.

·
Registered
935 Posts
According to a post on xlforum, the moco has started a recall for some of the rocker covers. You may want to search for that, or call your dealership and see if they've heard anything.

·
Registered
20 Posts
oil leak

pumpkin98 said:
I upgraded and bought a 2004 1200 Custom Sporty and love it EXCEPT the fact that I have had a constant oil leak from the rear rocker box cover that no one can seem to fix. HD Milwaukee states that during the chroming process the covers became warped and therefore now leak. They are STILL working on the problem. the 2 fixes that they thought would work have not. So....buyer beware. Other than that, I love the bike's style and the way it handles. I ride my to work whenever possible and it is very comfortable and smooth. Hope this sheds some light.
check this out
http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/harleyhog3/M1168A.pdf

1 - 18 of 18 Posts