V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK...here's the scoop...why is it that when I'm talking to other bikers I always get the stories of how "bad" some of the HD bikes are in the local area. I typically here things like - "I have a xx cubic inch motor...it'll kick any *** bikes ass!!".

However, when I'm riding no HD rider is willing to take a performance challange?? WTF??

Not looking at starting controversy here...but I want to understand the mentality. I mean lets face it...HD is the ultimate cruiser bike - bar none. However performance is not, has never been and will more than likely never be one of their strong suits when compared to a real high performance machine!!

Please help!

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
BAMFZX12R said:
OK...here's the scoop...why is it that when I'm talking to other bikers I always get the stories of how "bad" some of the HD bikes are in the local area. I typically here things like - "I have a xx cubic inch motor...it'll kick any *** bikes ass!!".

However, when I'm riding no HD rider is willing to take a performance challange?? WTF??

Not looking at starting controversy here...but I want to understand the mentality. I mean lets face it...HD is the ultimate cruiser bike - bar none. However performance is not, has never been and will more than likely never be one of their strong suits when compared to a real high performance machine!!

Please help!
Well bam, understanding the mentality is first understanding your own. What is it about this performance talk that upsets you? Since you and most every person on the face of the earth with any sense knows that a sportbike(crotch rocket race bike) and a Harley Davidson are two entirely different motorcycles for different purposes, then why is it important for you to bring out the facts about the performance differences? Maybe you are misinterpreting the "bad" HD talk as if it relates to a light weight in-town wheelie popper instead of a high torque mans' highway machine. No controversy here! And, welcome to the forum. :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fifth...thanks for the welcome & relpy.

My only issue is that there seems to be a bad attitide towards people that own fast bikes (crotch rockets). I am in my late 30's and need to have a machine capable of arousing my adrenal gland! However in a few more years I'll most likely want a smooth sailing cruiser machine.

What I'm really getting at is...why is there this big "dividing line"? Can't we all just get along? The main thing is that your bike does what you want it to do & you have fun doing it...like wise so does mine.

Just currious...how much HP can a big ci HD motor make (naturally...no NOS, turbo, supercharger, etc).

Thanks!!

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
BAMFZX12R said:
Fifth...thanks for the welcome & relpy.

What I'm really getting at is...why is there this big "dividing line"? Can't we all just get along? The main thing is that your bike does what you want it to do & you have fun doing it...like wise so does mine.

Thanks!!

Bam, you are right......my bike does what I want it to do and is perfect for me. I am glad that your's is right for you too. As far as getting along, I even try to get along with non-riders. LOL. So I don't get it. It's not that I think that a Harley is for everyone. It's not. I can just relate to people who own a Harley a lot better than with a person with a bike that is an entirley different purpose suited bike. I guess the need for the rush of speed over the years has faded to enjoying the rush of life on a Harley. Now I would have it no other way.

Later,

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Welcome, Bam.

FifthGear has correctly pointed out that H/D's are not for everyone. My son, who is visiting this weekend, prefers his sports bike. It's his thing. I understand and respect his opinion. There are other riders on this Forum who presently own or have owned sports bikes. I for one enjoy and appreciate almost any kind of motorcycle. I'd enjoy having a different motorcycle for each day of the week.

Now, will a stock H/D give you a big speed rush before modifications? For most riders the answer is "no". For many, the stock performance is anemic. However, after some very basic mod's, you can get plenty of juice. Sounds like, though, that you might be more comfortable with a V-Rod or Buell product. Have you given those lines consideration? H/D is marketing those products with younger riders in mind.

Enjoy your time here at the H/D Forum.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Night and Day

BAM, I take it from your screen name that you own a zx 12? :cool: As to answer the question of "Just currious...how much HP can a big ci HD motor make " No where near as much as a 12 will make out of the box. As far as being divided between rockets and Harleys....<shrugs> who knows. I never really saw the point of that arguement I think it's usually brought on by people who can't appreciate all forms of cycles so they feel obligated to belittle the other guys ride. As for me I started on *** iron and still own *** iron (2000 ZX-12R lol) but I wouldn't trade by Harley for anything. I find it more enjoyable to ride, the 12 is mainly for when I need to go get my speed fix. As for being challenged at a light...what's the point? I always enjoy having some kid on a 600cc rocket come up and try to show off when Im on the Harley because then I go home strap onto the ZX-12 and return the favor :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You got it man...'01 ZX12R w/mods...should be 175 - 180HP (at the rear wheel). All I can say is HOLD ON!

My real goal is to do what you have done...own the 12R & get a Harley for cruising, etc. Would love the new V-Rod, way cool looking bike! I just wish it sounded like a Harley! Oh well, can't have everything I guess...Fatboy is my next pick.

Thanks to all that replied...I was hoping to get some good, possitive response & not get pounded. Seems like everyone has an appreciation for both forms of bikes.

Maybe we all can get along!! :D

Maybe I'll see some of you in the Black Hills this summer!

Furrious...you should check out www.zx-12r.org great resource for 12R related items!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts