V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
We read a lot about horsepower and torque on the Harley big twins but Im curious. What are some of the stock horsepower/torque figures for the bigger sport bikes on the road? (ninjas etc)
I looked on the companys web sites but they dont reveal much about it..
Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a 2003 R1 nad I believe it had 140-150 hp. You couldn't give close to full throttle in 1 or 2, you'd be on your back. I heard now that the 600cc bikes are around there and the new R1 has 180hp!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:eek: Wow, thats a lot of power. Thanks for the reply. I guess thats how they pull those wheelies @ 70mph.....:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Typical metric liter bikes can produce up to 180 hp with 70 lbs of torque, using rpms to get the hp. H-D (if built for the street) should always produce more torque than hp.

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Trapper1 said:
Hi all,
We read a lot about horsepower and torque on the Harley big twins but Im curious. What are some of the stock horsepower/torque figures for the bigger sport bikes on the road? (ninjas etc)
I looked on the companys web sites but they dont reveal much about it..
Thanks.
These links have a lot of information including rear-wheel horsepower and torque:

http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/technical/perf_index_0105_p1.pdf
http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/technical/perf_index_0105_p2.pdf
http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/technical/perf_index_0105_p3.pdf

·
fourty three and seven...
3,465 Posts
Better put your belly on the tank out of the hole or you will be on your butt, watching the rear fender and tail light disintegrate.

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
With minimal work compared to what we d, the 'busa crowd runs in the 8s at the strip. It is amazing.

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
FXDRYDR said:
With minimal work compared to what we d, the 'busa crowd runs in the 8s at the strip. It is amazing.
One of the most intriguing things to me is the fact that a completely stock Busa will do 0 - 100 - 0 in 5.3 seconds.

wow!
too fast for me

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
heliman said:
One of the most intriguing things to me is the fact that a completely stock Busa will do 0 - 100 - 0 in 5.3 seconds.

wow!
too fast for me
Didn't know that, but sure as hell believe it! They - and sportbikes in general - are incredible machines. The 'busa's heavier than I thought ot would be too - around 535 pounds if I remember correctly. Was looking at Ducati Monsters last weekend and shocked to hear about the new S4 Testastretta with 135-ish HP in a 392 pound package!!

My hat is off to the engineers and PD folks -- and also the people that can ride these things to their potential.

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
FXDRYDR said:
Didn't know that, but sure as hell believe it! They - and sportbikes in general - are incredible machines. The 'busa's heavier than I thought ot would be too - around 535 pounds if I remember correctly. Was looking at Ducati Monsters last weekend and shocked to hear about the new S4 Testastretta with 135-ish HP in a 392 pound package!!

My hat is off to the engineers and PD folks -- and also the people that can ride these things to their potential.

Opps, miss-spoke :sofa:
should have been 0 - 100 in 5.3 seconds, not 0 - 100 - 0

I'm an idiot, on my good days :yawn:

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
HP numbers!

I have a 99` Busa that has 224 rwhp & 115ft.lbs. -- havent raced it YET!!
also an 86` sportster with 127 rwhp --- runs 10.80`s

·
Registered
50 Posts
Having been a Triumph supporter for many years and am keeping my 98 Thunderbird Sport, I was very impressed with the Triumph Rockett III's numbers. 144 ft/lbs of torque. WOW got to love that ride. But didn't buy it cause its to f'n ugly. Love my Street Glide.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I had a Triumph Speed Triple (2003) that made 125 hp, and about 74-75 lb ft of torque. Supposed to do 0-60 in 3 seconds. That bike, unlike the *** 4's, had major torque from 3000 up to about 8000 rpm. Most of the 4's don't make any real power until about 8-10,000 rpm, then they're rocketships.

That's why I almost always smile when I hear HD's being called 'fast'. My Night Train pulls like one, but my Triple would scream past it without going near redline!

Of course, now that I have the Train, I don't wanna go back!

·
Registered
94 Posts
My Ducati 916 has about 108 rear wheel horsepower (RWHP) and about 70 foot pounds of torque with mild mods.

My 2004 Aprilia RSVR Mille has about 125 RWHP and about 74 foot pounds of torque and she's bone stock at the moment.

Both bikes weigh in around 420 to 430 pounds wet.

They're both 2 cylinder twins.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Drove a 06 Roadglide Saturday with a 120 136hp/139tq and my what a fun bike. I drove a rocket 3 the weekend before but didn't care for it. Not nowhere near as much fun as the Harley. When I realized the Harley was faster than the Triumph was not good because now I got to have a 120 for my 05 Roadglide. I've had built busas zx's,zrx's,kz's,gsxr's, v-max's, but that Roadglide with that build Jim's 120 was the biggest time I've ever had on a motorcycle and I've been riding 35 years. Damn I love my roadglide. It's got a103 115/117 and it moves pretty good, but not like that 120.

·
Soar like an Eagle
2,570 Posts
Tell me more about what it felt like to ride that RG with the 120. Was the power smooth or did it just feel like it was going to toss you off the back when you got on it. Percentage wise that is a pretty significant jump from what my bike puts out now. Very curious about it for sure.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts