V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I have an issue that I cant seem to resolve. On start up my 93 FXR spits back through the carb quite dramatically. I asssume that this is an air leak somewhere but cant seem to find it. I have checked the intake manifolds and redone the gaskets twice, I have changed aircleaners, carbs etc but it still does the same thing. Could the exhaust leaking case this to happen. I have a harris 2 into 1 exhaust system and it has a real mean pop on decelleration, I know that this means a pretty good air leak on the exhaust but would it affect the carb and it spitting back. It also spits back when you are just stopped at intersections. It is fine when winding up through the rev range but as soon as you back off, away it goes again. Have tried new plugs, leads, testing the coil, timing is bang on.

Does anyone have any ideas, this is really getting me down!!

·
Registered
487 Posts
sorry not enough info cam a/c carb ignition ect

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Try edging your enrichener out a bit from completely closed, not so that the idle is raised too much but it may go up a bit. Does that help? How far out is the idle fuel screw from lightly seated? How does it do once it is warmed up?

·
Registered
1 Posts
try to adj idler mixture out to richen the combustion note idle speed will decrease so adj..a little at time to maintain idle an then go for a ride

·
Banned
871 Posts
How did you check for leaks? You should spray WD40 around the intake manifold while it's idling. The engine speed will change slightly if there's a leak. If it were only popping out the exhaust, then I consider a leaking exhaust gasket, but since it's doing it through the carb, it's most likely in that area.

It sounds to me like it's more of a jetting problem. Could be the accel pump not set up right, or the enricher is leaking fuel. Have you rebuilt the carb yet? That's the next thing I'd do. After you do that, put it on a dyno and get it tuned correctly. That's the ONLY way to get the carb set up perfectly. That should take care of it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts