V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mocked up the engine and found a set of spiro locks in JE piston box, very much to my surprise. Any time-tested tricks to get them in without stretching them too much? Any special tools required?
Saw those on older engines, but forgot all about them and here they come again in 2005. It's a JE 4.125 flat top piston supplied through Axtell for my 107". It's not listed in JE HD cataloque and I believe it's manufactured for Axtell and others

·
Nice to ride again :-)
1,802 Posts
ViennaHog glad to see you are on your build.

I don't have an answer but rather a question, what are they? How different then a reg cir clip? Is this in addition to the cir clip?

I have seen buttons instead of cir clips, but I have never heard of these.

I know you wanted an answer rather then a question, but inquiring minds would like to know.

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LAF said:
ViennaHog glad to see you are on your build.

I don't have an answer but rather a question, what are they? How different then a reg cir clip? Is this in addition to the cir clip?

I have seen buttons instead of cir clips, but I have never heard of these.

I know you wanted an answer rather then a question, but inquiring minds would like to know.

Here is the oly piece of info I could find so far.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I've been using spiralocks for a long time in my work. My method at least is to stretch them out to about 1/2" long and look like little coil springs. Then I work them into the circlip groove with a pocket screwdriver. Then I take and old wrist pin or appropriate size drift and push in from the outside to seat the spiralocs fully. Not a bad idea then to take that same pocket screwdriver and push around on the locks to make sure they are fully seated inside and out.

Rapid One
2005 Fat Boy
Stage 1
V & H Shortshots
HD Beach Bars
Nostalgia windshield
QD Backrest for hot little wife

"When in doubt, Gas it. It won't help but it ends the suspense!"

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rapid One, thanks for the info. No special tools required, that's good. Guess it takes patience and practice. All of the above are in short supply.

·
Nice to ride again :-)
1,802 Posts
Pretty cool stuff!

Still questions and since we have someone familiar with their use and I hope his patience is better then others are at this point.:beer4u:

First it appears to me to be a superior method then cir clips, from a novice point of view anyway, in that unlike a cir clip it is around the entire diameter of the hole of the piston. Also since it is under pressure from "center" coil bind, rather then "end" bind, it would be self locking. Of course assuming they are seated properly as with a cir clip.

I am wondering what determines why 2 on each end of the wrist pin?

I have never had a piston just hanging by the wrist pin and checked it for side to side slop. I mean I have pulled them when doing my builds but just never noted it. And going back on I always had them in the jugs, exposed enough to install the wrist pins and cir clips.

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
LAF said:
Pretty cool stuff!

Still questions and since we have someone familiar with their use and I hope his patience is better then others are at this point.:beer4u:

First it appears to me to be a superior method then cir clips, from a novice point of view anyway, in that unlike a cir clip it is around the entire diameter of the hole of the piston. Also since it is under pressure from "center" coil bind, rather then "end" bind, it would be self locking. Of course assuming they are seated properly as with a cir clip.

I am wondering what determines why 2 on each end of the wrist pin?

I have never had a piston just hanging by the wrist pin and checked it for side to side slop. I mean I have pulled them when doing my builds but just never noted it. And going back on I always had them in the jugs, exposed enough to install the wrist pins and cir clips.
Little that I know tells me that the grooves for circlips and spiro locks are different. JE supplies for this specific piston 2 spiro locks, but they make mention somewhere that this is the exception rather than the rule (4 per piston). The wrist pin is designed to match the type of locking device, I doubt that they are interchangeable
Maybe the piston experts can shed some light on this. Hope it doesn't end up in a heated debate as it usually does around pistons.#[email protected]

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the tips and links

Thanks for the practical tips and links about the spiro locks. Their advantage seems to be the self locking capability coupled with an even pressure distribution over the entire surface of the lock and the groove as far as I understand them now.
Will do the second mock up of the motor with thinner base gasket to get close to a 0.005 deck height, re-check the valve clearance etc. Well, better safe than sorry. Building an engine like this over here in Europe is outrageously expensive with all the custom, shipping and sales tax on top of the retail.

Happy New Year to everybody

·
ovanay elinquentday
2,021 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Has anybody found a source of supply for Spiro locks? In desperate need of one for my clutch hub. It's an internal one 1.800+/- .010 x .046 thick. Retains the (2) washers, (1 flat and the conical one with "Out" stamped on it.) Didn't mean to jump in, but I'm getting desperate.
Thanks,
DLR

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
DLRVelocity1 said:
Has anybody found a source of supply for Spiro locks? In desperate need of one for my clutch hub. It's an internal one 1.800+/- .010 x .046 thick. Retains the (2) washers, (1 flat and the conical one with "Out" stamped on it.) Didn't mean to jump in, but I'm getting desperate.
Thanks,
DLR
Axtell has some spiro locks in the cataloque. With some luck you'll find one. Their guys are pretty helpful and they could give you a lead to their supplier.

Give it a shot

Happy New Year

·
Not-so-Fatboy
1,115 Posts
ViennaHog said:
Building an engine like this over here in Europe is outrageously expensive with all the custom, shipping and sales tax on top of the retail.

Happy New Year to everybody
I hear you there. Doing anything to anything automotive overseas is insane. Finding a supplier that will ship, and then the small fortune you pay for shipping just really kills me. Glad to hear you are on with your build. If I was closer, I would come around to watch and lend a hand. Perfect winter project, huh? :)

Happy New Year!

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
BigSwede said:
Perfect winter project, huh? :)

Happy New Year!
Following GRock's advice the engine will be tested in a snow blower contest some time later in February. 107" snow thrower could be a lot of fun.....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts