V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am new to the the board, but I have a question about the speedo/tach on my '05 Road King Classic.

I had the original speedo changed out for the speedo/tach combo & this is the third one that has gotten moisture inside the unit, so much so that it leaves a water line. The dealership has replaced it each time..

My question is WHY IS THIS HAPPENING??? I have had two other bikes, a Yamaha & Vulcan Drifter & nNEVER had this problem..Is this a issue unique only to Harleys???? At almost $450, this is a sealed unit & should NOT get moisture inside..

Any opinions/advice is GLADLY WELCOME..

Thanks in advance,

Rich

·
Ironbutt
7,412 Posts
rwtflyfish said:
Hi,
At almost $450, this is a sealed unit & should NOT get moisture inside..
Rich
I agree. Keep taking it back until they give you a good unit. At this point i'd make sure a company rep is involved. Sounds like there is a quality control issue on these items.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I've had an 03, 04, and an 06 HD. Everyone of em has had moisture or condensation under the tach or speedo. From discussions I have seen on this subject, you are in the minority if you don't have the moisture. Not saying its right or it should happen............ just that its pretty common.

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
i have moisture in my fuel and air temp gauges. I replaced them once already, now i just deal with it. If you look in the touring section, there are many threads about this.....One of the little H-D quirks that we live with on out 20K macines..

·
Registered
529 Posts
This is not right. I bought a new Low Rider in 1985 and never had this kind of problem with it. I thought the MoCo cared about quality.:unsure:

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
I have an 04 Flhr and I get some condensation in the speedometer almost everytime after I wash the bike, or get caught in heavy rain. The condensation usually clears after a day or two.

·
Premium Member
5,217 Posts
common

The moisture is condensation and is inherent in most all Harley gauges. It really pissed me off to the point that I went aftermarket with a Dakota digital. No more moisture problem no matter the climate, rain or how many times I wash or ride my bike below 40 degrees F. There are many threads on this. You are fortunate that your dealer is replacing them as they are not required to do so. Harley used to change them, then announced it was at the discretion of the dealer and now they just say, it is normal condensation, park it in direct sunlight for 3 hours! As you can well see however, the moisture may dry out some but you eventually get water lines on the lense and in a year or two depending on severity, it will ruin the gauge face! I went through up to four gauges with two being supposed upgraded versions. Got expensive at 285.00 a unit. Dakota is nice, clean and plug and play. It is real easy to program also. I love it!

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
I ride an 05 lowrider and mine is at the dealers now getting the tach & odometer replaced due to moisture. The moisture dried up but the water lines looked horrible. I am glad that they are replacing it, but sounds like it may not be the end of this thing.
Chris

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
njyamahauler said:
I have an 04 Flhr and I get some condensation in the speedometer almost everytime after I wash the bike, or get caught in heavy rain. The condensation usually clears after a day or two.

Ditto, unfortunately.

·
Premium Member
5,217 Posts
Moisture

When I used to ride out of my garage on a 45 F morning to go to work, the Gauges would fog right up instantly. On the drive home at 75 F it was almost gone, but ultimately it ruins the look and finally the funtionality of the gauges. I did not think the Dakota would look right on my Harley, but now that I have em, they look fantastic and I get a ton of favorable comments. And NO MORE MOISTURE! Dakota also custom made me a gas gauge for my Dyna that they don't have in any catalog. Mine was a first request.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Speedo/Tach link

Thanks for the link..

Its a damn shame that @ 20K+, HD cant make a gauge that does what it is supposed to. Has anyone tried contacting Harley directly about this problem??? Or is Harleys answer too bad...deal with it???

At $500/unit, it should be moisture free & Harley SHOULD be held responsible..

·
Premium Member
5,217 Posts
Harley claims it is normal and that parking the bike in direct sunlight for up to eight hours depending on the severity of moisture will clear it up. Wait and see how that gauge looks after two years if it still works. I purchased what was suppose to be the third upgrade and it did exactly the same thing. Harley claimed it was my climate, (cool in mornings, warm in afternoon) and the fact that I drive out of a heated garage in the am into cool air. They also claimed however that despite the fact that the gauge filled with moisture and looked like crap, the latest upgrade would keep it from malfunctioning do to the moisture. It contained an epoxy sealed back plate apparently. The facee went to He11 in 9 months so it was all white and hard to see, but the gauge did continue to work. Dakota has a great warranty and I have not had a bit of trouble. The teal lighting also looks real cool with all the gauges lit up, particularly at night.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Dakota Gauge

My garage is NOT heated & I had the same prob, regardless of temp. I had a Yamaha V-star & Kawasaki Drifter & NEVER had this problem. Fortunately the dealer has replaced it each time, wait till I tell them it happened again.

I have an '05 Road King Classic, can Dakota make a speedo/tach combo for my RK. Also, how hard was it to install, calibrating the miles, etc??

Thanks,

Rich

·
Registered
515 Posts
Happened to me before my bike had 500 miles on it.
Moisture comes and goes, but has left water marks on the inside of the glass...
Not real noticable until out in direct sunlight and have not bitched to my dealer about it yet.:(

·
Premium Member
5,217 Posts
rwtflyfish said:
My garage is NOT heated & I had the same prob, regardless of temp. I had a Yamaha V-star & Kawasaki Drifter & NEVER had this problem. Fortunately the dealer has replaced it each time, wait till I tell them it happened again.

I have an '05 Road King Classic, can Dakota make a speedo/tach combo for my RK. Also, how hard was it to install, calibrating the miles, etc??

Thanks,

Rich

Rich,

Dakota makes it. Also the custom shop will make anything you want within reason. They made me a Dyna gas gauge that fits into a rubber cup with pins on the back side. Sent em one of my many moisture damaged ones and they made a size and pin match. A number of ways to calibrate. I did mine like the directions explained using a measured mile. I drove my truck up to a tree, then set the OD and drove exactly a mile. Checked that mileage for accuracy with my wifes car and it was the same. Get on the bike ride the mile stop and push a button. MPH right on the money. I rode next to a freind and we were going exactly the same speed. Dakota will also set the mileage for a small additional fee if you want it to match the existing mileage. It is a real quality unit. Only complaint is some of the genaric sales people. I called and requested someone who was specifically technically inclined and able to answer certain questions, after dealing with some of the sales people. They are nice enough, just lacking in knowlege. Go straight to Tech dept if you are unsure of what you need. The unit comes plug and play with your existing speed sensor and all. Don't let sales tell you otherwise.
Rick

·
Premium Member
5,217 Posts
just one issue

It's funny, but as much as I like buying a new bike every five or so years, I have not done so recently. It's little quirks like the speedo issue. You buy a new bike 20k plus, and end up with a quality unit over all, but some things that are lacking in quality and detract from such a good bike. My evo has been perfect since I purchased it brand new and replaced the factory base gaskets, the crappy fogged up speedo, corroded cadium plated nuts and bolts, and the lean factory condition, all in the first 1500 miles. It's been a high quality trouble free bike since then with over 90k on it now. After the Evo, I decided I needed a bagger also, for good two up touring so I bought a twin cam King. Same Speedo issues, same nut bolt issue but instead of base gaskets, my cam chest explodes do to defective cam tensioner shoes, and my buddies whistles annoyingly do to loose bearing tolerances. Well, I went to gear drive, changed the speedo and bolts covered a few and WALA! It is such an annoyance though that Harley puts such thought and quality in most of the bike and overlook the tiny details. The things that would make the bikes otherwise not just good but GREAT!

End of long story. I get tired of buying a new bike then trying to convince the OL that I need to dump another 5k into it to make it right? I'll stick with the quality I now have made and just spend money on customizing and rebuilding as necessary. It's nice to have paid off motorcycles in perfect what I paid for order!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Speedo/tach

I love my '05 RK Classic. No issuse, EX:rust, etc....yet...just the damn moisture in the speedo/tach. I know I could overlook it & probaably live with it, but everytime I get on the bike, I KNOW that water line is there & should'nt be & I cant justify it. So its back to the dealer we go for the 4th change.

If this one fails, like I know it will, I will go with the Dakota

Rich

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
My dealer told me that HD will not replace the Speedometer unless you can't see the gauges. They explained its because they are not water proof components so they sweat.
Well add this too my Saddle Bag brackets having had the paint peel off of them because of no primer. HD would repair the brackets but it would be my one time paint/chrome repair for the lifetime of the warrenty.
Get that? Your paint peels off your tank and you have them remedy it.. three weeks later it peels off your fendors and your out of warrenty on any paint/chrome repair.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts