V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy Everyone!

I picked up a 1987 FXRS about a week ago and have run into some problems with the dash. The bike itself is a mix of various year/ model parts and finding exactly what I need is tricky. My problem is the bike came with a dash mounted tank (Im not sure if this is correct for the year) but without the speedometer and tachometer. When I search Ebay im finding a ton of handlebar mounted dashes, which if I had a centerfill tank would be the move id make but id like to keep the tank I have if possible. Ive come across some Drag Specialties speedos and tachs that claim they will fit, but i am hesitant to purchase right away.
So my question is could anyone steer me in the right direction for what parts I may need to install the dash. Part numbers or aftermarket parts anything is appreciated! The bike has a Fxdx front end with a front wheel drive unit installed but no cable so I know I will be needing that but as far as speedometers tachometers proper gaskets and gauge mounts im lost.I just not sure exactly what year tank I have. I know the proper thing to do would be to check out a manual but since the bike is so new to me and Fxr manuals are hard to come by I turned to yall! I posted some pictures of the tank. Does anyone know might work in this thing? Thanks!
P.S. First post. If Im not doing this right let me know. Tough love never hurt!

·
Registered
17,324 Posts
You appear to have the same tank and dash as my 1999 FXR2.
Any low rider dash from any year will fit.

The tanks are hard to come by.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
FOAD
333 Posts
Just threw a drag specialties tacho in the bin. Could not tell if doing 2500rpm or 3500rpm the needle bounced around so bad.
Got a genuine one of ebay and steady as a rock and now owner is smiling.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
The tank mounted tach/speedo was only on the FXRS between 1988-1993, and 1999, so any from these years should work. The 2000 FXR4 also had this set up but I think it was an electronic speedo. The paint on your tank is matches 1990/91. Possibly may need a a longer speedo cable with the longer FXDX forks. Everything is most likely obsolete, but knowing part # will help with your search. I found a NOS tach and speedo assembly a few years ago. Here's what I use for part #.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts