V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello, i have a Road King Classic 2002 injection.Yesterday the odometer dead. I think it,s the speedometer sensor. i cleanning it today but the problem continuous. My question is : is it the speedometer sensor important for the good function of the injection? i dont know if the speedometer sensor send some information to the injection or low the revolutions... some people can give me any sugestion. I.m from Spain, i,m on a trip tomorrow i go to Sevilla. Thanks in advance.
Noe

H

·
0 Posts
Noe,

I don't believe there's any harm in running with the sensor dead. The ECM picks up its data from other sources, and doesn't need the speedometer sensor.

Harris

·
Registered
129 Posts
88 a secas said:
hello, i have a Road King Classic 2002 injection.Yesterday the odometer dead. I think it,s the speedometer sensor. i cleanning it today but the problem continuous. My question is : is it the speedometer sensor important for the good function of the injection? i dont know if the speedometer sensor send some information to the injection or low the revolutions... some people can give me any sugestion. I.m from Spain, i,m on a trip tomorrow i go to Sevilla. Thanks in advance.
Noe
The speedo sensor won't affect the running of the engine , however - CAUTION - the indicators self cancelling function doesn't work if the speedo isn't functioning , very dangerous if you are used to the self cancelling system .

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to all for the replay.But now i have another question How i know if i,m using the self canceling indicators?
thanks
Noe

·
Registered
388 Posts
I beg to differ on the speed sensor and its affects on the operation of the engine. When my sensor failed it affected not only the speedo, but the return to the proper idle speed, and self cancelling of the turning signals.

When I would approach a stop, the bikes idle would go to down the point of stalling. I had to use the throttle to maintain idle. Other than that it ran fine.

The turning signals get a signal to cancell according to speed for a specific duration. The speed sensor provides this signal.

Now, maybe the sensor can fail in different ways and produce different symptoms, I am not sure. But I do know that it affected my engine idle (once the bike was warm and coming to a stop.)

I simply changed the speed sensor and all was well. (I posted my experience here too.)

I have a 2002 Deuce FXSTDI.

·
Banned
2,502 Posts
88 a secas said:
Thanks to all for the replay.But now i have another question How i know if i,m using the self canceling indicators?
thanks
Noe
The signal will stop blinking automatically after Completing a turn.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Nor do I then. Here is the scoop... I was ridding one Saturday, pulled in the clutch to slow down and make a turn. The bike nealy died. I ignored it, thinking it was suffering from vapor lock or something. I drove to a gas station to open the tank and get gas. As I pulled into the gas station I noticed the speedo was not working.

I added fuel and rode home. The problem persisted. When I got home I pulled the sensor, cleaned off some metal shavings, and reinstalled it. I drove the bike around and the issues were stil there.

The next morning I started the bike and the idle problem resurfaced once the bike was warm. I drove directly to the dealer, bought the sensor, and changed it in the parking lot. Yea, the bike was hot, but I had some gloves. The idle, speedo, and signals all returned to normal. Absolutely nothing else was done from pulling in the parking lot, to changing out the sensor, to pulling out of the lot and all was fine.

No issues prior and no issues since (several months). Maybe someone has had a similar experience. I consider myself fairly sane, have a fair amount of mechanical knowledge, and not that old (under 40). LOL. :sofa:

csoday said:
toddlerp, I don't know what your problem was but there is no ECM input from the speedo sensing unit.

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
4,884 Posts
toddlerp said:
Nor do I then. Here is the scoop... I was ridding one Saturday, pulled in the clutch to slow down and make a turn. The bike nealy died. I ignored it, thinking it was suffering from vapor lock or something. I drove to a gas station to open the tank and get gas. As I pulled into the gas station I noticed the speedo was not working.

I added fuel and rode home. The problem persisted. When I got home I pulled the sensor, cleaned off some metal shavings, and reinstalled it. I drove the bike around and the issues were stil there.

The next morning I started the bike and the idle problem resurfaced once the bike was warm. I drove directly to the dealer, bought the sensor, and changed it in the parking lot. Yea, the bike was hot, but I had some gloves. The idle, speedo, and signals all returned to normal. Absolutely nothing else was done from pulling in the parking lot, to changing out the sensor, to pulling out of the lot and all was fine.

No issues prior and no issues since (several months). Maybe someone has had a similar experience. I consider myself fairly sane, have a fair amount of mechanical knowledge, and not that old (under 40). LOL. :sofa:
I really don't know if there is ECM input on a Harley but there certainly is on a Dodge Truck. I got a check engine light last week on my 1998 Dakota and checked the code with my Handy-Dandy Harbor Freight Code reader. Got code 0720 (speed-sensor circuit malfunction) Got another speed sensor and discovered that the old one was just dirty with metal shavings after 100,000 miles. Put the new one in anyway (it's on the talishaft of the transmission, takes 5 minutes to change) and, voila, every thing works. Symptoms were shaky speedo, poor idle, locking in 2nd gear "limp mode" sometimes and generally poor running. All good again.

Even though csoday may be corrct regarding no connection to ECM, there has to be some other connection with performance somewhere since I've heard that the speed sensor on HD can cause issues like poor idle, speedo problems, fault codes, etc.

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks too all again.

I,m now in home the trip was very good, only problem the odometer dead.

I think in all your sugestions and experiences my problem it,s how the Toddlerp. In this week i change the sensor, i post it,s the problems go out.

Thanks really it,s good be part of the vtwinforum family :)

From Spain.

Noe

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
toddlerp said:

toddlerp....On the way to Laconai this past month exactly as you described happened to me. I have an '03 and got a check engine light on. The bike ran like crap...speedo didn't work......stalled when comming to a stop....idle high when it didn't stall....turn cancel feature didn't work....gas mileage down to 30 from ~42....as so on....when to the dealer at Laconia........speedo sensor.........

Lou Z.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts