V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hear some stock speedo's tend to go haywire after some miles pile on. I got a 1999 XLH883 with 25+K and the Speedo quit. Dead. I check the conections and there like new. I took out the pick-up cleaned it and nothing. Dead.

The problem slowly got worse, started every now & then did not work to not working at all. It still flitches when the key is frist turn on (like the calabration is working). Anybody know if the pickups go bad on the newer Sportys?

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
Kags,

Is the odometer working? If so then the speedo may just be bad.

I have seen it twice on the 99 Sport and once on my wifes 03 Hugger - You go down the road and the speedo is reading way under what you are actually going. It will read 30 mph when you are going 55. wiered.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got nothing. The only thing that happens is the flick when I frist turn the key, like its calabrating. The "off speed problem" happen to it as well, but most of the time when I waited for the speedo to cal before starting it would work fine. I feal its the pick-up but im not sure.

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
Looking in the catalogs, I don't see a sensor for a Sportster, but the ones for the big Twins are retail for $60.

Good luck with it.

·
Registered
875 Posts
jockeyshift said:
You go down the road and the speedo is reading way under what you are actually going. It will read 30 mph when you are going 55. wiered.
Ive had that happen

·
Registered
347 Posts
My Dad has a '02 Sporty also and he has had that problem with the speedometer once before. He though it was caused by cold weather. He keeps his bike in a storage shed. He said once the bike warmed up the problem went away. Who knows?

I've never had the problem and I keep my bike in the basement.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK what about hotter weather? Like it was in the 90's when it frist stoped alltogether. Ive taken this long to finaly what to fix it being i dont ride it that much, me and the old lady are usaly on the Dyna.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Mine started acting screwy with-in 3 months of buying it. Still under warranty so it was covered. They said there were a lot of quality problems with Sportster speedos.

At first it would just die, then would start sweeping the whole scale while cruising at steady speeds, then finally it just died altogether.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ronf said:
Mine started acting screwy with-in 3 months of buying it. Still under warranty so it was covered. They said there were a lot of quality problems with Sportster speedos.

At first it would just die, then would start sweeping the whole scale while cruising at steady speeds, then finally it just died altogether.
What did they do to fix it?

·
Registered
24 Posts
speedo

Mine acts up if it has been exposed to dew, or a wash job. I too get the under speed problem. I always just figured it was the sensor getting damp, but sometimes I see fog on the inside of the speedo lens????

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
Wow, it seems like this is a common problem with the speedos reading incorrectly with all the post so far. Usually when mine does this, I just pull in the clutch while going down the road, and reach over and turn off the key, then turn it back on and restart the bike. It then reads ok. Being that its electronic, it seems that it may be getting a wrong signal from the sensor or something. Temperature doesn't seem to be a factor for mine either as I have it happen when cold or hot outside.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
jockeyshift said:
Usually when mine does this, I just reach over and turn off the key, then turn it back on and restart the bike. It then reads ok... Temperature doesn't seem to be a factor for mine either as I have it happen when cold or hot outside.
I used to have to do this on mine before I had it replaced under warranty. Haven't had it happen since.

·
Registered
193 Posts
On the Sport model, you can get wacky readings if you don't wait for the red engine lite to go out before cranking the engine. I have no experience with the other models, though.

·
Registered
194 Posts
On the way to work this morning mine was reading 55mph, but I knew I was doing at least 65 to 70!! First time this has happened on my 02 883.

·
Riding yr rnd in sunny FL
309 Posts
When you start your bike, turn on the ignition key, wait for the speedo to go through it's self test routine, that is the little up then down then back to zero thing it does, before hitting the starter. I have found this to work on my bike. If I don't do this, my Speedo will not register the correct speed- always says I'm going 10 to 15 mph under what I'm actually doing.

I found this on another website, and maybe it will take care of the problem that a lot of us are having with low mph readings.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ive known to let the speedo set itself ever since I got my Sporty. When it stops working all together you can wait till the battery dies it's still is dead.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Kags, sorry to get back to you so late. The dealer replaced the speedo itself. Said the had a few do the same thing as mine and just replaced them. They really didn't go into details though.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts