V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a new 2000 Ultra Classic, and shortly after I got it the speedo started acting up. I live in Canada so it is in Km/hr. It didn't happen all the time but a few times when I started out, it would not register ablve 80 clicks, even though I was going over a hundred. Then all of a sudden the needle would drop to 0, and the odometer display would go out, then after a couple seconds it would come on and work properly. I had it replaced by the dealer, under warranty and it worked OK for a while and now it is doing the same thing, only more often. I called the dealer and I think they will fix it for me, just have to get there. Anyone else have a problem like this, and if so, did you find the cause of it?

·
Registered
686 Posts
hd107, I was riding my new 2002 flht about 2 months ago and I looked at the tach about 3k in 5th and the spedo reading 40mph, so I thought it was an electronic problem so I pulled over turned the bike off restarted and everything worked fine, when I took it in to the dealer for 1000 mile service and told him about the speedo the service guys response was "oh its a brand new bike so maybe a small piece of metal got in the sending unit" well it hasn't done it since than,I forget about it until I read you post. Probably not a lot of help. I hope its warmer in Canada than it is here, 40 degrees now. safe riding rickpoco

·
Registered
903 Posts
Although it hasn't happened to me, I've heard several times of the sending unit getting metal shavings clogged up in it. Most of the bikes it's happened to were pretty new also.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I guess that would explain why it is doing it with the new speedo installed also. Is there any way to clean the sending unit, and where is it located?

Rickpoco. Not much warmer here than in Wisconsin. I am in Canada where we only have two seasons: Winter and Almost Winter.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
hd107 said:
Thanks for the replies. I guess that would explain why it is doing it with the new speedo installed also. Is there any way to clean the sending unit, and where is it located?

Greetings!

Assuming you are speaking for the speed sensor.

Remove seat.

Locate speed sensor connector in front of battery.

Push down connector and unsnap from T-stud on frame cross member.

Seperate socket halves.

Ok look just in front of starter ( right side of transmission case). Just in front of the Oil dip stick is the speed sensor mounted with single bolt. Remove that bolt. Now you can remove the sensor with cable and connector attached.

Look for excessive fuzz and clean, re-install. Ride bike to nearest Ice House. Bust open a Beer and enjoy the rest of the day.

·
Registered
686 Posts
hd107, I don't believe it I have the day off and the sun is out, I don't have to dress up like I am going snowmobling, or ski-dooing , as it is called by our friends from the north. safe riding rickpoco

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Pull the sensor out and wipe it off with a rag. No need to disconnect anything, just one Allen bolt.

With these bikes it is pretty important to initialize them and shut them down properly. More so with EFI bikes then carb ones, and even more so with Delphi bikes.

Turn the ignition on, turn the kill switch on, wait for the engine lite to go out and then crank it. Turn off the kill switch first and then the ignition.

The ECM doesn't have a damn thing to do with the speedo, but if you watch the speedo real close, about 2 or 3 seconds after you turn the ignition switch and kill switch on the needle will jump (it is almost imperceptible unless you are looking for it). You crank the bike before the needle jumps and more often then not it will do all sorts of strange $hit. Depends on the exact state of charge of the battery at the time, cranking causes a voltage drop and if the drop is large enough during the initialization process electronics go haywire.

Much easier to watch the engine lite, and keep in mind the ECM does the same thing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts