V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my way to work this morining (5 AM) on my 05 RKCustom... (friggin cold, I guess fall is really going to come....screw Gore and his global warming...lol). Stopped at a mini market 15 min into the ride to pick up a couple of newspapers. Thought I heard a noise (like a snap or something) when I turned the handle bars to get off the bike but I thought I had run over a wrapper or something. Got suited back up, started the bike, and speedo not working (no light for speedo, odometer, just the horrid red key on....). Thought well... she's running alright...I can make it the other 15 min. to work, no problem, I'll just deal with it tonight when I get home from work. Did I mention that it's about 5:20 in the friggin moring?....gee it's dark..... Anyway, I get back on the highway and pass a car...hmmm....no turn signals either. The running lights are on but no blinky, blinky. Hmmm ...do I have a tail light? Check...alright thats cool. Do I have brake lights?.....NO!! Crap... Screw work...I turned around and headed for home. It's not fun using hand signals at 5:30 in the morning but at least the traffic was light.

Get in the garage and start checking things out. Hmm...no horn either. Check the fuses. The accesories fuse is blown. Speedo and brake lights are accesories? Ok...new fuse and everything is working fine. Start tugging and pulling on harnesses. After about 15 minutes I'm pushing on the harness behind the head light.... Sparky Sparky...BINGO. Wow there's alot of extra plugs in there. (Alot of accesories that the Custom doesn't have I guess...light bar, tach etc....) Anyway one of those unused plugs was grounding out. WTF. There's two of them that look like 90 degree knife connectors. One has what looks like some sorta capacitor in it. The other...well it's wide open. I searched around in there and couldn't find anything to plug it into.....besides everything is working. So I taped it up and ty-wrapped the harness. Started up the bike. Moved the handle bars back and forth....shook harness...woo hoo....nothing. Was a little worried that the red key didn't go off right away. But it did after about 30 seconds. Hopefully it stays off...but if not I'll just run down to the local shop and get it reset. Anyway....check for those damn connectors that aren't doing anything...... cause they're liable to do something.....

1 - 1 of 1 Posts