V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did anyone catch the Thunder? show on Speed channel on Dec. 31 - they were giving the dyno results of various drag pipes on their Nighttrain project bike - As I recall there was a 20hp swing and the first set of pipes dynoed @ 100hp - If anyone out there saw the program and remembers the results could you post them - also could you confirm my recollection on the first set both results and who was the mfg.
Thanks,
Kevin

·
Registered
413 Posts
I don't remember the results but I do remember them saying you could view all the results on their webpage. Not sure if they meant Speedvisions website, or American Thunder's website, but if ya dig around a bit you should find it.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Now that was some good info. I do wish they would have tried some Vance and Hines systems. What really surprised me was that several of them did not out perform the SE II slip ons.

The Samson Big Guns made real low which just confirms my thoughts a low amount of back pressure can affect your HP alot.

One thing though that I did not see was if they rejetted for each set of pipes or ran the same jetting for every run. That may be part of the problem with the wide ratio in the numbers for HP and TQ.

I e-mailed them and asked them to put part numbers for the different exhausts in their article. I wonder what the Bartels exhaust looks like.

Just rambling on out loud.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MJ and Honk,
Thanks - I had looked at was not able to find it. Quite helpful.
Kevin

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
On tv they had the torque and horsepower curves and in that category, the Cycle Shacks were the big winner. Most of the others had the big dip in torque in the 2500 to 3000rpm range-a bad spot for torque to drop off. The 'Shacks' curve was a thing of beauty.

·
Registered
203 Posts
If you read the article series, a number of upgrades were performed, The first was just SE upgrades. You will see that the HP and TQ numbers are after they installed big bore kits and other upgrades. It would be interesting to see numbers for just the SE I upgrade and pipes. I have heard the difference is like nite and day.
ncr

1 - 7 of 7 Posts