V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
100th Road Glide
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you been watching the Barret Jackson auctions in the evenings. They have a few bikes that go thru. Most people that have built customs, bikes and cars have lost money per what I have seen. Yea, a custom may sell for 75 grand but the builder had 150k in it. These sellers must have more money than they need or are just crazy! They had a 2003 Springer that was one of 50 built, went for 26k. It was kind of tacky though with a really weird color of green, the guy who brought it in to the stage looked like Brando! Anyway those that are interested its finishes up this weekend and the best is usually saved for last. Last year they had a car that went for 3.2 million!

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
The Barrett-Jackson auctions are car nut heaven, I've been watching them every night. The auctioned of a Yaffe bike last night . There have been some sweet rides , and some surprises like the not authentic GTX going for $106K

·
Premium Member
685 Posts
nidan said:
....some surprises like the not authentic GTX going for $106K
wasn't that amazing?! Who'd a thunk a faux GTX hemi would bring that kind of money? BT has pretty savvy buyers, but I think someone's emotions ruled on this one. I like that they've gone to all no reserve this year, as well as setting aside a couple of days for "affordable collectors". It's been interesting to watch trends over the course of several years - eb and flow of prices and demand/interest in various types and makes. We have a winter home in Tucson and probably in the next year or 2 we're going to take a trip up to Scottsdale during the auction to take in the sights.

re: the blue '67 427 Vette roadster that sold last night for $100k+....several years ago I had one very similar to it. Triple blue, tri-power 427 and nicely documented with an interesting history. Had it restored over the course of about 18 months. It was a constant show winner, so much so that it became a trailer queen. Ended up selling to a big time collector from Chicago. Loved the car and loved showing it, but I really wanted a driver. I realized that I didn't have the inclination or money to have a $100k car sit in the garage all the time.

Edit Saturday: how about the $2m Hemi Cuda...? Unbelievable.

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
been watching ever night. I keep on dreaming though..............Its very interesting to see what the cars go for though as some of the cars really don't look worth all they sold for......Then some are way on the other end getting underpriced. Its very interesting to see how it works though.....

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
nidan said:
The Barrett-Jackson auctions are car nut heaven, I've been watching them every night. The auctioned of a Yaffe bike last night . There have been some sweet rides , and some surprises like the not authentic GTX going for $106K
Mopar rules the "stock" inventory at the BJ auctions...especially those sleeper Hemi rides...

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
great show, I didn't realize it was on til last night, I'll have it on for the rest of the auction, watch it every year, really heats up sat afternoon. Some real bargains there last night. If I was ever gonna go there for a ride, I'd get there for the first few days, alot of those prices were great......

·
Registered
453 Posts
According to Speedtv.com the show coming on tonight at 7pm is live. You can email the announcers questions about the cars. Pretty sure these groups of shows they show this weekend are live, any shown during the rest of the year are taped. Occasionally you will see a guy with a cell phone bidding for someone and the announcers say it is a tv viewer. Think the show on from Florida around Easter is also live. The rest are not.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
I thought 2003 springer was possibly a paint set 1 of 50 and not a limited production bike. I'm not 100% sure on that just that I don't remember any limited production bikes that Harley made for 2003. I haven't watched all of the auction just go back and forth to it. they had a car that had 1100 horse power and was a daily driver for a woman back and forth to work, can you imagine her driving by you and punching it.

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
4,884 Posts
Barrett-Jackson doesn't do very well on motorcycles. The audience at the auction are almost 100% car people.

BJ can't lose on cars, however. They get an additional 8% commission on every sale! The State of Arizona liked this auction also. They get sales tax unless you have a bill of lading to ship the car immediately to your home state. Then you get to pay sales tax wherever that is. It's a big money game for sure.

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
70 Cuda

Did ya watch Sat. night there was a green 70 Hemi Cuda sold for 2,000,000 yea 6 zeros and that does not include the fee of 8%

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Bigtwin101 said:
Did ya watch Sat. night there was a green 70 Hemi Cuda sold for 2,000,000 yea 6 zeros and that does not include the fee of 8%
you have to pay state tax also. if your spending that kind of green on a car I guess all the extras won't hurt you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts